2011-04-01 16:01:12

by George Nychis

Subject: products with Atheros AR9002U (UB94) ?

I am searching for a dual-band 802.11n USB wireless adapter with an
Atheros chipset for Linux use. I have checked the Linux Wireless
products page, etc. After doing some searching, I found that some
older 802.11n devices use the UB81/82/83 Atheros hardware with the
AR9001U, and some of the newer 802.11n Atheros hardware supports
AR9002U with the UB94. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main
difference is the AR9001U was 11n-draft, and the AR9002U is
11n-standard. Other than that, both are dual-band and seem to support
most of the same?
http://www.atheros.com/media/product/product_78_file1.pdf

I did a bunch of searching for products with the AR9001U and AR9002U,
and found some with the AR9001U such as the Netgear WNDA3100 and
D-Link DWA-160. However, I think that Rev.B of the DWA-160 actually
uses Ralink now. I'd be hesitant to purchase one someone and end up
with Rev.B.

In terms of AR9002U, I am not finding much of anything. Just
reference designs for the UB94, which I can't find any products that
use it. Apparently, Luis and others asked this question a little
while back, and the response was sometime in Q3 2010 from Stephen
Chen:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/51660

Now that we're on Q2 of 2011, are there any products on the market
with the AR9002U/UB94 that anyone has seen? If an AR9002U/UB94 is
available, I'd go for it over the AR9001U. It seems like ath9k has
the needed support for the AR9280.

Any feedback would be really helpful. If I can't find anything with
the AR9002U, I'll pull the trigger on the WNDA3100 unless after some
more searching I find something better.

Thanks!
George

2011-04-02 20:24:18

by George Nychis

Subject: Re: products with Atheros AR9002U (UB94) ?

> oh, heh right. missed the "DUAL BAND" checkbox. Nevermind, there are
> some other supposedly dual-band ath9k_htc you can get quite easily.
> [although they all cost a fortune - compared to the WN821 v3!]:
>
> TiVo AN0100
> Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter
> Sony UWA-BR100
> Netgear WNDA3200

Thanks for the set of responses! It's been super helpful. I am
checking out all of these options now.

It would still be great to add these to the "product list" on
linuxwireless.org, does anyone know how to add to this list?
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/USB

Just to get an idea of this... but is the USB AR9280+AR7010 fully
supported already? In checking some of the device driver pages,
ath9k_htc is listed as supporting AR9271+AR7010, but I don't see
ar9280 like I do ar9170. I don't know if this is just a documentation
detail or not.

- George

2011-04-03 04:27:42

by Sujith

George Nychis wrote:
> > oh, heh right. missed the "DUAL BAND" checkbox. Nevermind, there are
> > some other supposedly dual-band ath9k_htc you can get quite easily.
> > [although they all cost a fortune - compared to the WN821 v3!]:
> >
> > TiVo AN0100
> > Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter
> > Sony UWA-BR100
> > Netgear WNDA3200
> >

> Thanks for the set of responses! It's been super helpful. I am
> checking out all of these options now.
>
> It would still be great to add these to the "product list" on
> linuxwireless.org, does anyone know how to add to this list?
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/USB
>
> Just to get an idea of this... but is the USB AR9280+AR7010 fully
> supported already? In checking some of the device driver pages,
> ath9k_htc is listed as supporting AR9271+AR7010, but I don't see
> ar9280 like I do ar9170. I don't know if this is just a documentation
> detail or not.

AR7010+AR9280 devices are supported by ath9k_htc.

Sujith

2011-04-02 09:24:39

by Christian Lamparter

On Saturday 02 April 2011 01:13:53 Steven wrote:
> George Nychis <gnychis@...> writes:
>
> > If anyone knows of any other devices, especially ones where I'd be
> > guaranteed to order an AR9280+AR7010 (without worrying about
> > versioning), let me know. As soon as I figure out how to update the
> > device wiki, I will. Thanks again.
>
> Just happened to be looking for the same thing as you at the same exact time,
> wow. I looked at the AR9002U Data Sheet:
> http://www.atheros.com/media/product/product_78_file1.pdf
> The TL-WN821N ONLY has the AR7010 Chipset, not the AR9280, which is why it does
> not have 5Ghz range functionality:
> http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/prodetail.aspx?mid=010303010103&id=128
>
> AR9002U is the perfect modern solution, Dual Band, 802.11n, USB, linux... Why is
> it this hard to find one with the chipset, google is not helping. Guess I'll
> try e-mailing the company...
oh, heh right. missed the "DUAL BAND" checkbox. Nevermind, there are
some other supposedly dual-band ath9k_htc you can get quite easily.
[although they all cost a fortune - compared to the WN821 v3!]:

TiVo AN0100
Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter
Sony UWA-BR100
Netgear WNDA3200

2011-04-01 23:15:05

by Steven

George Nychis <gnychis@...> writes:

> If anyone knows of any other devices, especially ones where I'd be
> guaranteed to order an AR9280+AR7010 (without worrying about
> versioning), let me know. As soon as I figure out how to update the
> device wiki, I will. Thanks again.

Just happened to be looking for the same thing as you at the same exact time,
wow. I looked at the AR9002U Data Sheet:
http://www.atheros.com/media/product/product_78_file1.pdf
The TL-WN821N ONLY has the AR7010 Chipset, not the AR9280, which is why it does
not have 5Ghz range functionality:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/prodetail.aspx?mid=010303010103&id=128

AR9002U is the perfect modern solution, Dual Band, 802.11n, USB, linux... Why is
it this hard to find one with the chipset, google is not helping. Guess I'll
try e-mailing the company...

2011-04-01 19:40:23

by George Nychis

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Christian Lamparter
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Friday 01 April 2011 18:01:09 George Nychis wrote:
>> Now that we're on Q2 of 2011, are there any products on the market
>> with the AR9002U/UB94 that anyone has seen? ?If an AR9002U/UB94 is
>> available, I'd go for it over the AR9001U. ?It seems like ath9k has
>> the needed support for the AR9280.
> Yes, and there are lots of them.
>
> For instance:
> TP-Link WN821N *>=v3* is an AR7010+AR9280 solution.

Thanks for the pointer! Now I just have to hunt down a v3...
unfortunately it seems like most resellers do not list the version,
and a lot list it as "pre-n" so I fear it is either the older
versions, or they simply do not update their description.

It would be good to start putting some of the AR9280+AR7010's on the
product page, as there are currently none listed. I tried to edit the
wiki on linux-wireless.org, but all I see is "<<DeviceList(USB)>>" and
I can't find where this is rooted at.

If anyone knows of any other devices, especially ones where I'd be
guaranteed to order an AR9280+AR7010 (without worrying about
versioning), let me know. As soon as I figure out how to update the
device wiki, I will. Thanks again.

2011-04-01 16:09:46

by Christian Lamparter