2008-03-20 01:11:02

by Adam Turk

Subject: 2.6.25-rc6, rausb0 or wlan0 or both???

Hello,

I am trying to teach my students why WEP is not to be used any more. U=
sing the BackTrack 3 beta, a 2.6.22 kernel, and a non mainline driver f=
or my ralink wireless card everything worked great. When my wireless c=
ard was supported in mainline 2.6.24 I gave it a try and found support =
was pretty bad, but the authors knew it and were working on it. I am n=
ow trying 2.6.25-rc6 to see if thing improved and I am sorry to say the=
y haven't. I use the following commands (these commands work in 2.6.22=
) to get things started:
# airmon-ng stop rausb0
# ifconfig rausb0 down
# macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 rausb0
# airmon-ng start rausb0
# aireplay-ng -9 rausb0

In 2.6.25-rc6 the name changed to wlan0 and I do:
# airmon-ng stop wlan0
# ifconfig wlan0 down
# macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 wlan0
# airmon-ng start wlan0

When I do the airmon-ng start wlan0 I get the following error message:
Interface Chipset Driver
wlan0 Ralink 2573 USB rt73usb - [phy0]

ERROR: Neither the sysfs interface links nor the iw command is availabl=
e.
Please download and install iw from http://git.sipsolutions.net/iw.git

If I do a airmon-ng start rausb0 I don't get the error, but the packet =
injection test doesn't succeed. I am using aircrack beta 2 version 100=
7

Can this please get fixed for 2.6.25?

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail=AE-ge=
t your "fix".
http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx-

2008-03-20 21:07:38

by John W. Linville