2009-01-11 16:50:01

by Jayant Sane

Subject: Newbie question on 2.6.28-rc8-wl

Bear with a miserable newbie...=20
=20
I have been asked to compile against the 2.6.28-rc8-wl version of kerne=
l (as printed by uname -r). How and where can I get this specific kerne=
l version from?=20
=20
I figured how to get the patch for 2.6.28-rc8 but the "-wl" part stumps=
me.=20
=20
=20
TIA for any help
Jay

=20
Windows Live=99: Keep your life in sync.=20
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitwor=
ks_012009-

2009-01-11 17:10:25

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: Newbie question on 2.6.28-rc8-wl

Jayant Sane wrote:
> Bear with a miserable newbie...
>
> I have been asked to compile against the 2.6.28-rc8-wl version of kernel (as printed by uname -r). How and where can I get this specific kernel version from?
>
> I figured how to get the patch for 2.6.28-rc8 but the "-wl" part stumps me.

That is the kernel from the wireless-testing git tree. The only way to
get it is to install the git package from your distro and issue the
command

git clone \
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git

Be aware that the download is roughly 200 MB. In addition, the above
will get you 2.6.28-wl. If you really need -rc8 (which I doubt), then
you will need to issue the additional command

git checkout v2.6.28-rc8

The -wl part is not needed here.

Larry

2009-01-12 15:05:25

by Larry Finger

Jayant Sane wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> Again pardon my ignorance here..
>
> It seems that I can either get 2.6.28-wl or 2.6.28-rc8 per your suggestions below but not 2.6.28-rc8-wl
>
> And I know it is possible to have the kernel version reported as 2.6.28-rc8-wl. How can I get that?

The -wl part comes from the presence of a file named
"localversion-wireless" in the wireless-testing directory. This file
has one line with the contents of that line being "-wl" (without the
quotation marks, or course).

If you are compiling this particular kernel to get some wireless
driver, then 2.6.28-wl is likely to be better than 2.6.28-rc8-wl.
Please elaborate your reason for being told to get the -rc8 variant.

Larry

2009-01-11 17:13:34

by Fabio Rossi

On Sunday 11 January 2009, Jayant Sane wrote:

> d to compile against the 2.6.28-rc8-wl version of kernel (as printed by
> uname -r). How and where can I get this specific ke

It's the head development tree for the wireless subsystem. You can use git to
get wireless-testing.git, read
http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation

2009-01-12 06:37:16

by Jayant Sane

Thank you.

Again pardon my ignorance here..

It seems that I can either get 2.6.28-wl or 2.6.28-rc8 per your suggest=
ions below but not 2.6.28-rc8-wl

And I know it is possible to have the kernel version reported as 2.6.28=
-rc8-wl. How can I get that?

thx
Jay

> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:10:18 -0600
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> CC: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Newbie question on 2.6.28-rc8-wl
>=20
> Jayant Sane wrote:
>> Bear with a miserable newbie...=20
>> =20
>> I have been asked to compile against the 2.6.28-rc8-wl version of ke=
rnel (as printed by uname -r). How and where can I get this specific ke=
rnel version from?=20
>> =20
>> I figured how to get the patch for 2.6.28-rc8 but the "-wl" part stu=
mps me.=20
>=20
> That is the kernel from the wireless-testing git tree. The only way t=
> get it is to install the git package from your distro and issue the
> command
>=20
> git clone \
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testi=
ng.git
>=20
>=20
> Be aware that the download is roughly 200 MB. In addition, the above
> will get you 2.6.28-wl. If you really need -rc8 (which I doubt), then
> you will need to issue the additional command
>=20
> git checkout v2.6.28-rc8
>=20
> The -wl part is not needed here.
>=20
> Larry
>=20
ess" in

Windows Live=99 Hotmail=AE: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.=20
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbett=
er_howitworks_012009-

2009-08-01 01:34:50

by Larry Finger

Jayant Sane wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> Again pardon my ignorance here..
>
> It seems that I can either get 2.6.28-wl or 2.6.28-rc8 per your suggestions below but not 2.6.28-rc8-wl
>
> And I know it is possible to have the kernel version reported as 2.6.28-rc8-wl. How can I get that?

In the main directory, create a file named localversion-wireless with
a line that says -wl

If you did the steps I told you earlier, you have the same as
2.6.28-rc8-wl, no matter what it says.

Larry