2013-04-12 20:34:52

by Stanislav Yakovlev

Subject: Re: driver IPW2200 of gentoo 3.7.10 kernel

Hi Peter,

On 12 April 2013 05:26, Peter van Toorn <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dear Stas
>
> I found your name and email on the "MAINTAINERS"of the linux-3.7.10-gentoo
> kernel
>
> I have an old laptop which needs the IPW2200 module.
>
> I encounter two problems:
> 1) via the menuconfig I am unable to set the IPW2200 module, although
> instructions are given
> via the help info how to do. So I cannot turn on the "module"option for
> the driver via the GUI of
> menuconfig
>
> 2) Worse, the CONFIG_IP2200 option is not present in the .config file. So
> the ability
> to set the IP2200 driver is not available.
>
> Is this a temporarily bug only for this version of linux, or is support
> for this driver stopped.
>
> A newer version of linux will fix the problem???
>
> I have an operational system using kernel 3.5.7
>
> Any idea?

CONFIG_IPW2200 option depends on CFG80211_EXT which is not enabled by
default any more.

So you need to enable CFG80211_EXT first. You can do this via 'make menuconfig'.

[*] Networking support --->
-*- Wireless --->
<*> cfg80211 - wireless configuration API
[*] cfg80211 wireless extension compatability

Than you can enable IPW2200 as usual.

Stanislav.