2012-06-07 03:14:21

by George Nychis

Subject: anyone know any dual-band USB devices with monitoring mode in Linux?

Hi all,

I've been using the Sony UWA-BR100 (AR9280) with ath9k_htc, and there
is clearly a bug with reporting signal strengths which I need to be
correct. I've reported the bug, but this might not be fixed in time
for a deadline I have coming up, and the bug is in the firmware out of
my reach.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of any alternative USB dual-band
wireless cards that support monitoring mode in Linux. I'd _greatly_
appreciate it... doesn't need to be Atheros based.

- George

2012-06-07 12:36:31

by Daniel Smith

On 6/6/2012 11:14 PM, George Nychis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using the Sony UWA-BR100 (AR9280) with ath9k_htc, and there
> is clearly a bug with reporting signal strengths which I need to be
> correct. I've reported the bug, but this might not be fixed in time
> for a deadline I have coming up, and the bug is in the firmware out of
> my reach.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone knows of any alternative USB dual-band
> wireless cards that support monitoring mode in Linux. I'd _greatly_
> appreciate it... doesn't need to be Atheros based.
>
> - George

Take a look at Ralink. Most if not all of their chips firmware support
monitor mode. One limitation though is that they are not capable of
reporting the tsf if that is important to you.

V/r,
Daniel

2012-06-07 22:24:42

by Mark Davis

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM, George Nychis <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using the Sony UWA-BR100 (AR9280) with ath9k_htc, and there
> is clearly a bug with reporting signal strengths which I need to be
> correct. ?I've reported the bug, but this might not be fixed in time
> for a deadline I have coming up, and the bug is in the firmware out of
> my reach.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone knows of any alternative USB dual-band
> wireless cards that support monitoring mode in Linux. ?I'd _greatly_
> appreciate it... doesn't need to be Atheros based.
>
> - George
> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

http://bit.ly/LzgJiA

I primarily use AWUS050NH / AWUS051NHs. Dell Wireless 1450 adapters
are also decent (though they probably perform better in 2.4GHz than
5GHz). I'm not really a fan of AR9170 hardware.

-mark

2012-06-11 18:17:47

by George Nychis

Thanks for your suggestions! I ended up grabbing an RaLink RT3572 for
$12 on Amazon with the AE1000:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VYH1UE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Not a problem kicking it in to monitoring mode with the rt2x00 driver,
and it is reporting proper signal strengths unlike my ar9280.
Perfect.

- George