2012-05-16 18:32:17

by George Nychis

Subject: Re: AR9280 reported signal strengths are flat (comparison with bcm4322 included)

Hi Holger,

Thanks a bunch for your response! I had read about ANI before on the
list, it would be interesting to know if this is the cause for this.
It definitely seems plausible. I will dig around the ath9k code and
see if I can narrow down this to the cause.

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM, George Nychis <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Holger,
>
> Thanks a bunch for your response! ?I had read about ANI before on the
> list, it would be interesting to know if this is the cause for this. ?It
> definitely seems plausible. I will dig around the ath9k code and see if I
> can narrow down this to the cause.
>
> - George
>

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Holger Schurig
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> This is probably due to ANI (adapative noise immunity). I think ath9k
>> does too much here, in other words: it doesn't just kick in if there
>> are too strong signals there. Instead it seems to always adjust the
>> input attenuator, needed or not.

2012-05-16 18:35:30

by George Nychis

BTW- is ANI _not_ applied on broadcast traffic? I notice that
monitoring the signal strength of beacons does not show this behavior.
Maybe not applied for localization reasons?

- George

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM, George Nychis <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>
> Thanks a bunch for your response! ?I had read about ANI before on the
> list, it would be interesting to know if this is the cause for this.
> It definitely seems plausible. I will dig around the ath9k code and
> see if I can narrow down this to the cause.
>

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM, George Nychis <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Holger,
>>
>> Thanks a bunch for your response! ?I had read about ANI before on the
>> list, it would be interesting to know if this is the cause for this. ?It
>> definitely seems plausible. I will dig around the ath9k code and see if I
>> can narrow down this to the cause.
>>
>> - George
>>

>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Holger Schurig
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is probably due to ANI (adapative noise immunity). I think ath9k
>>> does too much here, in other words: it doesn't just kick in if there
>>> are too strong signals there. Instead it seems to always adjust the
>>> input attenuator, needed or not.

2012-05-17 03:36:02

by George Nychis

Well, I believe that I forced ANI to be disabled and I still see this
same behavior.

To disable ANI on my AR9280, I added this to __ath9k_hw_init() in hw.c
if (AR_SREV_9280(ah))
ah->config.enable_ani = false;

I believe this works because in ath9k_hw_post_init() I have checked
that ah->config.enable_ani is set to false. Therefore,
ath9k_hw_ani_setup() and ath9k_hw_ani_init() are never called.

Unfortunately, I still see this same flat line trend without strong
signal strengths near the device.

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM, George Nychis <[email protected]> wrote:

> BTW- is ANI _not_ applied on broadcast traffic? ?I notice that
> monitoring the signal strength of beacons does not show this behavior.
> ?Maybe not applied for localization reasons?
>
> - George
>

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM, George Nychis <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi Holger,
> >
> > Thanks a bunch for your response! ?I had read about ANI before on the
> > list, it would be interesting to know if this is the cause for this.
> > It definitely seems plausible. I will dig around the ath9k code and
> > see if I can narrow down this to the cause.
> >

> > On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM, George Nychis <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Holger,
> >>
> >> Thanks a bunch for your response! ?I had read about ANI before on the
> >> list, it would be interesting to know if this is the cause for this. ?It
> >> definitely seems plausible. I will dig around the ath9k code and see if I
> >> can narrow down this to the cause.
> >>
> >> - George

2012-05-23 18:36:38

by George Nychis

Might anyone else have some insight here? I've tried digging through
the code to see if AGC is not properly taken in to consideration
during the RSSI calculation, but I think this is done in the firmware
which is out of view of my eyes.