2013-12-03 20:10:23

by Andreas Kemnade

Subject: status of libertas_tf + sdio?

Hi,

I want to be able to use my marvel sdio wifi as an ap, so I am interested
in having the sdio interface of libertas_tf. I sucessfully copied
over the libertas_tf directory from somewhere and fixed a bit of things
and compiled that in a 3.7 kernel. It works.
But now I am thinking about generating a clean patch.

I found this one here:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg55245.html
Is there any newer patch to start working on?

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade

Attachments:
signature.asc (198.00 B)

2013-12-11 21:21:51

by Vasily Khoruzhick

Subject: Re: status of libertas_tf + sdio?

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM, James Cameron <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:10:50AM +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:

>> > How do you know that? Are you saying that SPI support was removed
>> > from firmware during the conversion from fat to thin?
>>
>> Err, there's no lbtf_spi.bin file.
>
> Basing decisions on the names of files rather than the code they
> may contain seems rather limiting.
>
> In the absence of evidence, there's a possibility that SPI support
> remained.

But fat firmware differs for SPI and SDIO

>> > What happens if you send the thin firmware instead?
>>
>> I have no thin firmware for 8686 with SPI interface
>
> What happens if you send the thin firmware for SDIO interface to the
> device using the fat firmware helper for SPI interface?
>
> I don't have an SPI setup to test, but I gather you do.

OK, I'll try.

>> > File sd8686_helper.bin, we use it in Open Firmware with SDIO 8686 on
>> > OLPC XO.
>> >
>> > For SPI, which we don't use, I see if_spi.c uses gspi8686_v9_helper.bin
>> >
>> > I was wrong; I am now aware of a second stage firmware downloader
>> > helper specific to the SPI mode. I hadn't looked before.

>> > Cozybit did the thin firmware, if I recall correctly.
>>
>> Do you think it makes sense to contact them?
>
> I don't think it makes sense to ignore them, but I don't wish to
> speculate further.

OK, thanks!

Regards
Vasily

> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.linux.org.au/

2013-12-28 07:40:30

by Vasily Khoruzhick

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Steve deRosier <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > But fat firmware differs for SPI and SDIO
>>
>> Correct. AFAIK (and I could be wrong, I haven't been involved for a few
>> years) CozyBit only did the thin firmware for OLPC-specific deployments
>> of the usb8388 and sd868x parts which were included in OLPC devices, to
>> support the mesh networking protocols used by OLPC. None of those parts
>> used SPI; and thus I would not expect there to be a thin firmware for
>> any SPI parts. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
>>
>> Each bus type uses different firmware, so yes, you'd need both a helper
>> firmware and a main firmware that contains code specific to the bus
>> type.
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Hi guys,

Hi Steve,

> Sorry for not noticing this earlier. I'm the guy (formerly) at
> Cozybit who wrote the driver and did the thinfirmware for OLPC. I
> never got a chance to get the driver cleaned up so it could be
> accepted into the kernel mainline; ended up shifted off to a different
> project right away and then, well, you know how it goes.
>
> In case you weren't aware, the git repo for the driver is at:
> http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/derosier/wireless-testing/
>
> There's also an old compat-wireless for it:
> http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/derosier/compat-wireless/
>
> The driver of course requires the thinfirm firmware. You should be
> able to find it somewhere on OLPC's site, or in various posts or
> emails from me. If you really can't find it, let me know and I'll see
> if I can find the binary by digging through my archives.
>
> As for SPI support... The SDIO spec requires SPI support. I don't
> recall any specific support or no support for SPI (either way) in the
> SD8686 firmware. If I were you I'd give it a try (assuming you're not
> having to do hardware spins to try it). It may work. Then again, I
> haven't looked at that code in over three years (and no longer have it
> to check) and my recollections may be fuzzy.
>
> If it doesn't work, contact Cozybit, they can fairly easily make a
> thinfirm change to the SPI version of the firmware if that indeed
> exists as a separate project. Frankly the hard part is not in making
> the thinfirm change, its is in fitting it into the chip and doing all
> the testing to be sure you didn't break anything else.

OK, thanks, I'll give it a try!

Regards
Vasily

> Useful links:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thin_firmware_spec
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_as_AP
>
> - Steve
>
> PS sorry for the resend... Darn google HTMLified it on me and I hadn't noticed.

2013-12-11 08:11:11

by Vasily Khoruzhick

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM, James Cameron <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 12:38:28PM +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:

>> > What happens when you try?
>>
>> How? There's no tf available for 8686 with SPI interface.
>
> How do you know that? Are you saying that SPI support was removed
> from firmware during the conversion from fat to thin?

Err, there's no lbtf_spi.bin file.

>> > How are you downloading firmware over SPI?
>>
>> See drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c, but it's for fat
>> firmware
>
> What happens if you send the thin firmware instead?

I have no thin firmware for 8686 with SPI interface

>> > I'm not aware of a second stage firmware download helper specific to
>> > the SPI mode.
>>
>> What's a second stage firmware download helper?
>
> File sd8686_helper.bin, we use it in Open Firmware with SDIO 8686 on
> OLPC XO.
>
> For SPI, which we don't use, I see if_spi.c uses gspi8686_v9_helper.bin
>
> I was wrong; I am now aware of a second stage firmware downloader
> helper specific to the SPI mode. I hadn't looked before.
>
>> > I think it is not possible without firmware engineering.
>>
>> Yeah, just hoped that Marvell already did it. It's a pity that
>> firmware source code isn't available :(
>
> Cozybit did the thin firmware, if I recall correctly.

Do you think it makes sense to contact them?

Regards
Vasily

> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.linux.org.au/

2013-12-11 20:55:47

by James Cameron

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:10:50AM +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM, James Cameron <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> How? There's no tf available for 8686 with SPI interface.
> >
> > How do you know that? Are you saying that SPI support was removed
> > from firmware during the conversion from fat to thin?
>
> Err, there's no lbtf_spi.bin file.

Basing decisions on the names of files rather than the code they
may contain seems rather limiting.

In the absence of evidence, there's a possibility that SPI support
remained.

> >> See drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c, but it's for fat
> >> firmware
> >
> > What happens if you send the thin firmware instead?
>
> I have no thin firmware for 8686 with SPI interface

What happens if you send the thin firmware for SDIO interface to the
device using the fat firmware helper for SPI interface?

I don't have an SPI setup to test, but I gather you do.

> >> What's a second stage firmware download helper?
> >
> > File sd8686_helper.bin, we use it in Open Firmware with SDIO 8686 on
> > OLPC XO.
> >
> > For SPI, which we don't use, I see if_spi.c uses gspi8686_v9_helper.bin
> >
> > I was wrong; I am now aware of a second stage firmware downloader
> > helper specific to the SPI mode. I hadn't looked before.

> >> Yeah, just hoped that Marvell already did it. It's a pity that
> >> firmware source code isn't available :(
> >
> > Cozybit did the thin firmware, if I recall correctly.
>
> Do you think it makes sense to contact them?

I don't think it makes sense to ignore them, but I don't wish to
speculate further.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/

2013-12-09 09:38:49

by Vasily Khoruzhick

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 7:18 AM, James Cameron <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 01:40:00PM +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
>> Out of curiosity,
>>
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to get thin firmware for 8686 with
>> SPI interface?
>
> What happens when you try?

How? There's no tf available for 8686 with SPI interface.

> How are you downloading firmware over SPI?

See drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c, but it's for fat firmware

> I'm not aware of a second stage firmware download helper specific to
> the SPI mode.

What's a second stage firmware download helper?

> I think it is not possible without firmware engineering.

Yeah, just hoped that Marvell already did it. It's a pity that
firmware source code isn't available :(

Regards
Vasily

> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.linux.org.au/

2013-12-11 22:42:14

by Dan Williams

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 00:21 +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM, James Cameron <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Err, there's no lbtf_spi.bin file.
> >
> > Basing decisions on the names of files rather than the code they
> > may contain seems rather limiting.
> >
> > In the absence of evidence, there's a possibility that SPI support
> > remained.
>
> But fat firmware differs for SPI and SDIO

Correct. AFAIK (and I could be wrong, I haven't been involved for a few
years) CozyBit only did the thin firmware for OLPC-specific deployments
of the usb8388 and sd868x parts which were included in OLPC devices, to
support the mesh networking protocols used by OLPC. None of those parts
used SPI; and thus I would not expect there to be a thin firmware for
any SPI parts. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Each bus type uses different firmware, so yes, you'd need both a helper
firmware and a main firmware that contains code specific to the bus
type.

Dan

> >> I have no thin firmware for 8686 with SPI interface
> >
> > What happens if you send the thin firmware for SDIO interface to the
> > device using the fat firmware helper for SPI interface?
> >
> > I don't have an SPI setup to test, but I gather you do.
>
> OK, I'll try.

> >> Do you think it makes sense to contact them?
> >
> > I don't think it makes sense to ignore them, but I don't wish to
> > speculate further.
>
> OK, thanks!
>
> Regards
> Vasily
>
> > --
> > James Cameron
> > http://quozl.linux.org.au/

by Dan Williams

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 20:26 +0100, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to use my marvel sdio wifi as an ap, so I am interested
> in having the sdio interface of libertas_tf. I sucessfully copied
> over the libertas_tf directory from somewhere and fixed a bit of things
> and compiled that in a 3.7 kernel. It works.
> But now I am thinking about generating a clean patch.
>
> I found this one here:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg55245.html
> Is there any newer patch to start working on?

I don't think so. If you're interested in working on this, great!

Dan

2013-12-09 04:25:33

by James Cameron

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 01:40:00PM +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> Out of curiosity,
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to get thin firmware for 8686 with
> SPI interface?

What happens when you try?

How are you downloading firmware over SPI?

I'm not aware of a second stage firmware download helper specific to
the SPI mode.

I think it is not possible without firmware engineering.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/

2013-12-10 02:27:55

by James Cameron

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 12:38:28PM +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 7:18 AM, James Cameron <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 01:40:00PM +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> >> Out of curiosity,
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if it's possible to get thin firmware for 8686 with
> >> SPI interface?
> >
> > What happens when you try?
>
> How? There's no tf available for 8686 with SPI interface.

How do you know that? Are you saying that SPI support was removed
from firmware during the conversion from fat to thin?

> > How are you downloading firmware over SPI?
>
> See drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c, but it's for fat
> firmware

What happens if you send the thin firmware instead?

> > I'm not aware of a second stage firmware download helper specific to
> > the SPI mode.
>
> What's a second stage firmware download helper?

File sd8686_helper.bin, we use it in Open Firmware with SDIO 8686 on
OLPC XO.

For SPI, which we don't use, I see if_spi.c uses gspi8686_v9_helper.bin

I was wrong; I am now aware of a second stage firmware downloader
helper specific to the SPI mode. I hadn't looked before.

> > I think it is not possible without firmware engineering.
>
> Yeah, just hoped that Marvell already did it. It's a pity that
> firmware source code isn't available :(

Cozybit did the thin firmware, if I recall correctly.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/

2013-12-27 21:30:04

by Steve deRosier

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 00:21 +0300, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:

> > > Basing decisions on the names of files rather than the code they
> > > may contain seems rather limiting.
> > >
> > > In the absence of evidence, there's a possibility that SPI support
> > > remained.
> >
> > But fat firmware differs for SPI and SDIO
>
> Correct. AFAIK (and I could be wrong, I haven't been involved for a few
> years) CozyBit only did the thin firmware for OLPC-specific deployments
> of the usb8388 and sd868x parts which were included in OLPC devices, to
> support the mesh networking protocols used by OLPC. None of those parts
> used SPI; and thus I would not expect there to be a thin firmware for
> any SPI parts. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
>
> Each bus type uses different firmware, so yes, you'd need both a helper
> firmware and a main firmware that contains code specific to the bus
> type.
>
> Dan

Hi guys,

[...]

2013-12-06 10:40:21