2011-08-15 21:03:31

by George Nychis

Subject: any way to activate a scan in Atheros' monitor mode?

Is there anything out of the box, before I go hacking, that supports
initiating a channel scan for an ath9k card when in monitoring mode?
Right now, I am implementing a wrapper around iwconfig to increment
the channel, but its a little fuzzy when it's implemented at a higher
layer with delays to change the channel that I can't account for.

- George

2011-08-15 23:13:52

by Gábor Stefanik

Why would you want to do a conventional AP scan in monitor mode? If
you just want to channel hop, you can directly call nl80211 to change
the channel repeatedly. (Calling iwconfig is the worst idea, as
iwconfig uses the old wext interface, which is then basically
translated to nl80211 commands in the kernel, before being sent to the
device/driver.)

Also, you can always have a managed interface open in the background,
and do scanning on that.