2011-07-30 17:20:30

by Laurence Darby

Subject: I'm confused and angry

Is there an obvious list of consumer products (NOT chipsets) that
hostapd supports that I'm missing?

I want to make a wireless Access Point, using either a USB dongle, PCI
card, or PCIE x1 card. I have already got a DHCP server and NAT in
both my desktop PC and router, I don't want to pay for an expensive
external wireless router which would be a 3rd DHCP and NAT.

None of the consumer devices' websites say which chipset they use, and none
the chipset manufactures' sites say what consumer products use their
chipset, so I can't just search for devices that support this.

I've foolishly just bought a Netgear WNA1100, because it was "close
enough" to a Netgear WNA1000, which possibly supports AP mode, but that
wasn't available.

I thought it got away with it, because this page:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc says that driver
supports AP mode.

I've upgraded to Linux 3.0 and installed the htc_9271.fw firmware, and
the device shows up in /proc/net/dev, but now hostapd is giving me the
errors:

rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
Hardware does not support configured mode
wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured mode (2)
Could not select hw_mode and channel. (-2)
wlan0: Unable to setup interface.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory

Does this device and driver support AP mode or not? If the driver
doesn't, then the web page is wrong.

If the driver does but the device doesn't, then the website should make
that clear.

I'm not bothered at all if the WNA1100 was a waste of money, it's the
amount of time I've wasted on this so far.

Please CC me on any responses, I'm not subscribed.

Thanks,
Laurence

2011-07-30 18:39:38

by Sedat Dilek

Subject: Re: I'm confused and angry

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Laurence Darby <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there an obvious list of consumer products (NOT chipsets) that
> hostapd supports that I'm missing?
>
> I want to make a wireless Access Point, using either a USB dongle, PCI
> card, or PCIE x1 card.  I have already got a DHCP server and NAT in
> both my desktop PC and router, I don't want to pay for an expensive
> external wireless router which would be a 3rd DHCP and NAT.
>
> None of the consumer devices' websites say which chipset they use, and none
> the chipset manufactures' sites say what consumer products use their
> chipset, so I can't just search for devices that support this.
>
> I've foolishly just bought a Netgear WNA1100, because it was "close
> enough" to a Netgear WNA1000, which possibly supports AP mode, but that
> wasn't available.

A different hardware-revision can mean that vendor has changed wifi-chip :-).
So, better ask before you buy new hardware.

> I thought it got away with it, because this page:
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc says that driver
> supports AP mode.

AFAICS, people on #linux-wireless dont recommend USB-devices as the
interface can be a bottleneck.

> I've upgraded to Linux 3.0 and installed the htc_9271.fw firmware, and
> the device shows up in /proc/net/dev, but now hostapd is giving me the
> errors:
>
> rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
> Hardware does not support configured mode
> wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured mode (2)
> Could not select hw_mode and channel. (-2)
> wlan0: Unable to setup interface.
> rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory

Please, send full dmesg, lspci/lsusb outputs, etc.
What software do you use to connect to AP from client?
Personally, I have no HostAP(d) in use, but interested people might
want to see its config files, the same for the kernel.

> Does this device and driver support AP mode or not?  If the driver
> doesn't, then the web page is wrong.
>
> If the driver does but the device doesn't, then the website should make
> that clear.

And of course, docs could be enhanced.
It's a wiki, feel free to join and correct.

> I'm not bothered at all if the WNA1100 was a waste of money, it's the
> amount of time I've wasted on this so far.

Maybe a business solution with an anual or longterm contract can help
(if money does not count).

> Please CC me on any responses, I'm not subscribed.

You can try to ask on IRC, try joining #linux-wireless (freenode) and
ask there (note, it's sometimes a very silent channel).
But please, be nice and polite :-).

- Sedat -