2011-10-20 23:02:28

by Alan Pater

Subject: rtl8192cu - fails to maintain connection to some Access Points

Hi folks

Several people over on Ubuntu Launchpad are reporting that this USB WiFi
adaptor has issues connecting to certain access points. In my case, I cannot
connect to a Meraki mesh network, but have no trouble when using my Android
phone as a WiFi Access Point.

The launchpad bugs are:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-backports-modules-3.0.0/+bug/862684

~$ uname -a
Linux crow 2.6.38-11-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 12 21:18:14 UTC 2011
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Note that I have tried newer kernels, including 3.1.0 without it making a
difference.

Is there some other steps we could be taking to figure out what is going on
here?

gracias,
Alan

2011-10-21 13:23:50

by Alan Pater

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Sedat Dilek <[email protected]> wrote:
> Asking as a non-native speaker/writer: What do you mean by "Meraki"?
>
> - Sedat -
>
> [1] http://meraki.com/products/wireless/wifi-stumbler

Two of their hardware access points linked together in what they call
a multi-radio mesh.

Like these: http://meraki.com/products/wireless/mr62

Perhaps it is the multi-radio setup that the rtl8192cu does not like?

Alan

2011-10-21 07:28:29

by Sedat Dilek

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 06:02 PM, Alan Pater wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks
>>
>> Several people over on Ubuntu Launchpad are reporting that this USB WiFi
>> adaptor has issues connecting to certain access points. In my case, I
>> cannot
>> connect to a Meraki mesh network, but have no trouble when using my
>> Android
>> phone as a WiFi Access Point.
>>
>> The launchpad bugs are:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/852190
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/869530
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-backports-modules-3.0.0/+bug/862684
>>
>> ~$ uname -a
>> Linux crow 2.6.38-11-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 12 21:18:14 UTC 2011
>> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>> ~$ lsusb
>> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
>>
>> Note that I have tried newer kernels, including 3.1.0 without it making a
>> difference.
>>
>> Is there some other steps we could be taking to figure out what is going
>> on
>> here?
>
> You need to run wireshark on a different computer and capture the attempt to
> connect. The device works with my 3 APs, but none are Meraki.

Asking as a non-native speaker/writer: What do you mean by "Meraki"?

- Sedat -

[1] http://meraki.com/products/wireless/wifi-stumbler

> Larry

by Larry Finger