2016-10-27 14:30:35

by Gary Bisson

Subject: Re: Outdated wl12xx firmwares

Hi,

Adding linux-wireless in CC, hoping to get more traction.

Just checked the MAINTAINERS file of this driver and it is listed as
'Orphan', so is it ok if a non-TI person submits the up-to-date
firmware files?

Regards,
Gary

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Gary Bisson
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering why the w127x and wl128x firmware files have not been
> updated to their latest version (since Jan 2014)?
>
> The current version in the linux-firmware repo are:
> - 6.3.10.0.133 for single-role
> - 6.5.7.0.42 for multi-role
>
> Looking at TI's forum[1], they recommend using the latest one to avoid
> issues like firmware reload:
> - 6.3.10.0.139 for single-role
> - 6.5.7.0.47 for multi-role
>
> The up-to-date firmware files can be found in the following repo:
> https://github.com/TI-OpenLink/ti-utils/tree/master/hw/firmware
>
> What is the procedure to update them, does it need to be a TI employee
> that sends the patch? The former wl12xx maintainer (Luciano Coelho)
> seems to work for Intel now.
>
> Regards,
> Gary
>
> [1] https://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_connectivity/wilink_wifi_bluetooth/f/307/p/350832/1236099#1236099

2016-11-14 08:12:55

by Luca Coelho

Hi,
I'm CCing Maxim, since he seems to be the last developer from TI to
post patches for the WiLink drivers here.

On Thu, 2016-10-27 at 12:45 +0200, Gary Bisson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adding linux-wireless in CC, hoping to get more traction.
>
> Just checked the MAINTAINERS file of this driver and it is listed as
> 'Orphan', so is it ok if a non-TI person submits the up-to-date
> firmware files?

AFAICT, the license text in the github repository you pointed to is not
exactly the same as the one in linux-firmware.git. So, not being a
lawyer, I don't know how you could handle that, since the license in
github explicitly says that you need to reproduce that license.

> Regards,
> Gary
>
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Gary Bisson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am wondering why the w127x and wl128x firmware files have not been
> > updated to their latest version (since Jan 2014)?
> >
> > The current version in the linux-firmware repo are:
> > - 6.3.10.0.133 for single-role
> > - 6.5.7.0.42 for multi-role
> >
> > Looking at TI's forum[1], they recommend using the latest one to avoid
> > issues like firmware reload:
> > - 6.3.10.0.139 for single-role
> > - 6.5.7.0.47 for multi-role
> >
> > The up-to-date firmware files can be found in the following repo:
> > https://github.com/TI-OpenLink/ti-utils/tree/master/hw/firmware
> >
> > What is the procedure to update them, does it need to be a TI employee
> > that sends the patch? The former wl12xx maintainer (Luciano Coelho)
> > seems to work for Intel now.

Right, I'm not working for TI anymore, so there's nothing that I can do
for you. If I were you, I'd keep poking at current TI developers to
see if they can send these new FW versions to linux-firmware.git. They
probably even have newer versions than the ones published in github.

> > Regards,
> > Gary
> >
> > [1] https://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_connectivity/wilink_wifi_bluetooth/f/307/p/350832/1236099#1236099

Luca.