2017-01-11 08:36:01

by Belisko Marek

Subject: ad-hoc in 5GHz

Hi,

this should be general question. I'm using [0] ralink driver to setup
ad-hoc mode. It works fine in 2.4GHz band (channel 1) but when I try
to setup ad-hoc for 5GHz (channel 50) it seems it's not working at all
(I tried to scan with other device but I cannot ad-hoc network). So my
question should ad-hoc mode work in 5GHz band also or there are some
restrictions? Many thanks.

[0] - https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU

BR,

marek

--
as simple and primitive as possible
Marek Belisko - OPEN-NANDRA

Tel: +421 915 052 184
skype: marekwhite
twitter: #opennandra
web: http://open-nandra.com

2017-01-11 10:12:54

by Stanislaw Gruszka

Subject: Re: ad-hoc in 5GHz

Hi

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 09:36:00AM +0100, Belisko Marek wrote:
> this should be general question. I'm using [0] ralink driver to setup

It's Realtek not Ralink, right ?

> ad-hoc mode. It works fine in 2.4GHz band (channel 1) but when I try
> to setup ad-hoc for 5GHz (channel 50) it seems it's not working at all
> (I tried to scan with other device but I cannot ad-hoc network). So my
> question should ad-hoc mode work in 5GHz band also or there are some
> restrictions? Many thanks.

Depending on regulatory setting IBSS or IR (initialize radiation) can be
prohibited on some 5GHz channels, check "iw phy" to see which 5GHz channels
are allowed to use. If HW hardcoded regulatory do not prohibits IBSS on all
5GHZ channels it can be matter or setting proper regulatory domain
(configure timezone properly and then setregdomain will set domain based
on it).

Regards
Stanislaw

2017-01-11 10:23:06

by Belisko Marek

Hi Stanislaw,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Stanislaw Gruszka <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 09:36:00AM +0100, Belisko Marek wrote:
>> this should be general question. I'm using [0] ralink driver to setup
>
> It's Realtek not Ralink, right ?
Ah sorry yes it's Realtek.

>> ad-hoc mode. It works fine in 2.4GHz band (channel 1) but when I try
>> to setup ad-hoc for 5GHz (channel 50) it seems it's not working at all
>> (I tried to scan with other device but I cannot ad-hoc network). So my
>> question should ad-hoc mode work in 5GHz band also or there are some
>> restrictions? Many thanks.
>
> Depending on regulatory setting IBSS or IR (initialize radiation) can be
> prohibited on some 5GHz channels, check "iw phy" to see which 5GHz channels
> are allowed to use. If HW hardcoded regulatory do not prohibits IBSS on all
> 5GHZ channels it can be matter or setting proper regulatory domain
> (configure timezone properly and then setregdomain will set domain based
> on it).
I did check that and I use 'iw reg set US' (to setup other regulatory
than 00). But despite of that
I still cannot get 5GHz working. Maybe it's driver issue. Thanks.

> Regards
> Stanislaw

BR,

marek