2017-03-28 17:12:09

by Matthew Stanger

Subject: Formatting of db.txt

Hi,

I'm trying to set antenna gain in the db.txt following the
documentation from:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/regulatory/processing_rules

If I copy the example exactly show in the link:

country CR:
(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
(5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
(5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 23), DFS
(5735 - 5835 @ 20), (3, 30)

and do a make I get a parsing error:
dbparse.SyntaxError: Syntax error in line 288 (invalid power data)
make: *** [regulatory.bin] Error 1

I can change freq and power levels and other settings and everything
builds fine. What am I missing about setting antenna gain?

Thanks,
Matt

2017-03-28 19:27:36

by Krishna Chaitanya

Subject: Re: Formatting of db.txt

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Matthew Stanger
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set antenna gain in the db.txt following the
> documentation from:
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/regulatory/processing_rules
>
> If I copy the example exactly show in the link:
>
> country CR:
> (2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
> (5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
> (5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 23), DFS
> (5735 - 5835 @ 20), (3, 30)
>
> and do a make I get a parsing error:
> dbparse.SyntaxError: Syntax error in line 288 (invalid power data)
> make: *** [regulatory.bin] Error 1
>
> I can change freq and power levels and other settings and everything
> builds fine. What am I missing about setting antenna gain?
the (max_eirp, pwr) is an old syntax which is deprecated by commit
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/commit/?id=e56cd9618e3e5bf8ff96b799544b85170e34d9c3

May be we should update the doc.

2017-03-29 06:25:36

by Johannes Berg

On Tue, 2017-03-28 at 21:49 -0600, Matthew Stanger wrote:
> I also notice when I run 'iw reg get' it still shows the format which
> seems to support the antenna gain (N/A):
> country US: DFS-FCC
>         (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 25), (N/A)
>         (5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 16), (N/A)
>         (5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 16), (N/A)
>         (5490 - 5730 @ 160), (N/A, 16), (N/A)
>         (5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (N/A)
>
> If this isn't supported by the .db anymore then maybe this format
> should be updated in configuration utility.

Not really - this tool should still support older kernels.

johannes

2017-03-29 03:49:14

by Matthew Stanger

I also notice when I run 'iw reg get' it still shows the format which
seems to support the antenna gain (N/A):
country US: DFS-FCC
(2402 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 25), (N/A)
(5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 16), (N/A)
(5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 16), (N/A)
(5490 - 5730 @ 160), (N/A, 16), (N/A)
(5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (N/A)

If this isn't supported by the .db anymore then maybe this format
should be updated in configuration utility. Am I on track? I'd be glad
to attempt a patch if this is of value? Thanks

Cheers,