2013-04-19 08:27:23

by Vasiliy Tolstov

Subject: very bad work of wl (bcm 43228)

Hello. Sorry for my email. But sometimes ago i bought acer aspire
v5-171 with broadcom wireless =(.
After two weeks i have many slowdons and unstable network speed with
my wifi. Signal of wifi hotspot high. Other notebook (dell 1501 with
b43 driver - very big thanks to reverse ingenering it!!) i have stable
speed.

What i need to provide to solve my problems?
I'm use ubuntu 12.04 with broadcom-sta-source (5.100.82.112-4)

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]

2013-04-21 12:54:30

by Vasiliy Tolstov

Subject: Re: very bad work of wl (bcm 43228)

2013/4/19 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
> I have no quick solution so need to more detailed info. For these kind of
> questions it always helps to provide kernel log and output from commands
> like lspci and lsusb.

Now i'm sometimes not able ping my wifi hot spot (only on 43228, on
4311 all works fine with b43 driver)
lspci:
03:00.0 0280: 14e4:4359
Subsystem: 105b:e04b
Memory at c0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-b9-ff-ff-fc-08-ed
Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
Kernel driver in use: wl
Kernel modules: wl

Some logs from kernel and ping in attached file. I'm try to send this
email ten times, becouse wifi very bad work's with this driver =(

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]

Attachments:
wifi (77.99 kB)

2013-04-19 19:25:30

by Arend van Spriel

On 04/19/2013 01:20 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> 2013/4/19 Julian Calaby <[email protected]>:
>> There are two ways that support for your card will happen:
>> 1. The b43 developers will finish reverse engineering it and release
>> support for it.
>> 2. Broadcom will release support through the brcmsmac driver.
>>

>> Option 2 may take some time as we're waiting for Broadcom. Arend is
>> their main person here, I've also CC'd him.
>>

> Hmm , as i see broadcom not very interesting with opensource =( (i
> have broadcom cardreader in my
> notebook and its not respond when insert card..., bug stays open...)

Hmm, I see things differently, but I may be biased ;-) Broadcom is a
sizeable company with different business units. I was not even aware we
were providing cardreaders. My focus is on wireless devices.

Option 2 is on our todo list, but other tasks (brcmfmac) have taken
priority and still are.

>> If you're desperate for a good wireless connection on that laptop
>> right now, your best bet is to buy yourself a cheap USB card, I
>> personally recommend ones with Atheros chipsets as they're very well
>> supported and tend to work well. TP-Link make some cheap and good
>> ones like the TL-WN821N and TL-WN822N.
>
> Thanks. But IMHO i have adapter with bluetooth and wifi integrated (as
> i think) and buy wifi+bluetooth in russia not very simple =)

I have no quick solution so need to more detailed info. For these kind
of questions it always helps to provide kernel log and output from
commands like lspci and lsusb.

Regards,
Arend

2013-04-26 20:20:11

by Vasiliy Tolstov

2013/4/26 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
> Not really. You could try disabling powersave. I am not very familiar with
> wl driver.
>
> $ iw dev wlanX power_save off
>
> Can you still provide lsusb and lspci for all devices?
>
> Gr. AvS

I'm already disable powersaving but it not helps. My lspci and lsusb:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor
Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host
Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI
Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced
Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root
Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root
Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root
Port 3 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced
Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point 6 port SATA
Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57785
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
04:00.1 SD Host controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM57765
Memory Card Reader (rev 10)

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0489:e046 Foxconn / Hon Hai
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b336 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]

2013-04-19 11:20:43

by Vasiliy Tolstov

2013/4/19 Julian Calaby <[email protected]>:
> I was certain I'd heard about support going in, clearly my memory is
> wrong. Searching around, you asked this question before. Sorry to
> mislead you.

Not worry. Thanks for answers.

> There are two ways that support for your card will happen:
> 1. The b43 developers will finish reverse engineering it and release
> support for it.
> 2. Broadcom will release support through the brcmsmac driver.
>
> Option 1 will take some time, this is not easy work, you might be able
> to help with the development, but it's _very_ technical work. That
> said, if you can compile a kernel, you can help with the testing once
> all the code starts to get together. I believe that Rafał is working
> on this and have CC'd him.

If somebody provide me steps that i need to to - i'm ready to help.

> Option 2 may take some time as we're waiting for Broadcom. Arend is
> their main person here, I've also CC'd him.

Hmm , as i see broadcom not very interesting with opensource =( (i
have broadcom cardreader in my
notebook and its not respond when insert card..., bug stays open...)

> If you're desperate for a good wireless connection on that laptop
> right now, your best bet is to buy yourself a cheap USB card, I
> personally recommend ones with Atheros chipsets as they're very well
> supported and tend to work well. TP-Link make some cheap and good
> ones like the TL-WN821N and TL-WN822N.

Thanks. But IMHO i have adapter with bluetooth and wifi integrated (as
i think) and buy wifi+bluetooth in russia not very simple =)

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]
jabber: [email protected]

2013-04-19 12:52:11

by Julian Calaby

Hi Vasiliy,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov <[email protected]> wrote:
> 2013/4/19 Julian Calaby <[email protected]>:
>> If you're desperate for a good wireless connection on that laptop
>> right now, your best bet is to buy yourself a cheap USB card, I
>> personally recommend ones with Atheros chipsets as they're very well
>> supported and tend to work well. TP-Link make some cheap and good
>> ones like the TL-WN821N and TL-WN822N.
>
> Thanks. But IMHO i have adapter with bluetooth and wifi integrated (as
> i think) and buy wifi+bluetooth in russia not very simple =)

If I'm not mistaken, the bluetooth in your laptop is completely
separate from the Broadcom card. It may be based on a Broadcom
chipset, but it will work with a different driver (which hopefully
works correctly.)

If you buy a USB wireless card, you don't need to buy a new bluetooth card.

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2013-04-19 10:44:43

by Vasiliy Tolstov

2013/4/19 Julian Calaby <[email protected]>:
> I'm not completely sure, but I believe your card is supported in the
> latest kernel, however I'm not sure exactly how to install it for your
> version of Ubuntu. The alternative is to install the compat-wireless
> package - it'll be called something like
> linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.6-3.2.0-40-generic. If you use either
> of these methods, your card should work without the
> broadcom-sta-source driver.

I'm already get answers on wireless list that my card not supported =(

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]

2013-04-19 10:41:52

by Julian Calaby

Hi Vasiliy,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello. Sorry for my email. But sometimes ago i bought acer aspire
> v5-171 with broadcom wireless =(.
> After two weeks i have many slowdons and unstable network speed with
> my wifi. Signal of wifi hotspot high. Other notebook (dell 1501 with
> b43 driver - very big thanks to reverse ingenering it!!) i have stable
> speed.
>
> What i need to provide to solve my problems?
> I'm use ubuntu 12.04 with broadcom-sta-source (5.100.82.112-4)

I'm not completely sure, but I believe your card is supported in the
latest kernel, however I'm not sure exactly how to install it for your
version of Ubuntu. The alternative is to install the compat-wireless
package - it'll be called something like
linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.6-3.2.0-40-generic. If you use either
of these methods, your card should work without the
broadcom-sta-source driver.

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2013-04-26 07:17:47

by Vasiliy Tolstov

Any news ?

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]

2013-04-19 11:06:53

by Julian Calaby

Hi Vasiliy,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov <[email protected]> wrote:
> 2013/4/19 Julian Calaby <[email protected]>:
>> I'm not completely sure, but I believe your card is supported in the
>> latest kernel, however I'm not sure exactly how to install it for your
>> version of Ubuntu. The alternative is to install the compat-wireless
>> package - it'll be called something like
>> linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.6-3.2.0-40-generic. If you use either
>> of these methods, your card should work without the
>> broadcom-sta-source driver.
>

> I'm already get answers on wireless list that my card not supported =(

I was certain I'd heard about support going in, clearly my memory is
wrong. Searching around, you asked this question before. Sorry to
mislead you.

There are two ways that support for your card will happen:
1. The b43 developers will finish reverse engineering it and release
support for it.
2. Broadcom will release support through the brcmsmac driver.

Option 1 will take some time, this is not easy work, you might be able
to help with the development, but it's _very_ technical work. That
said, if you can compile a kernel, you can help with the testing once
all the code starts to get together. I believe that Rafał is working
on this and have CC'd him.

Option 2 may take some time as we're waiting for Broadcom. Arend is
their main person here, I've also CC'd him.

If you're desperate for a good wireless connection on that laptop
right now, your best bet is to buy yourself a cheap USB card, I
personally recommend ones with Atheros chipsets as they're very well
supported and tend to work well. TP-Link make some cheap and good
ones like the TL-WN821N and TL-WN822N.

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2013-04-26 09:02:05

by Arend van Spriel

On 04/26/2013 09:17 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Any news ?

Not really. You could try disabling powersave. I am not very familiar
with wl driver.

$ iw dev wlanX power_save off

Can you still provide lsusb and lspci for all devices?

Gr. AvS

> 2013/4/21 Vasiliy Tolstov <[email protected]>:
>> 2013/4/19 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
>>> I have no quick solution so need to more detailed info. For these kind of
>>> questions it always helps to provide kernel log and output from commands
>>> like lspci and lsusb.
>>

>> Now i'm sometimes not able ping my wifi hot spot (only on 43228, on
>> 4311 all works fine with b43 driver)
>> lspci:
>> 03:00.0 0280: 14e4:4359
>> Subsystem: 105b:e04b
>> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
>> Memory at c0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
>> Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
>> Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
>> Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
>> Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
>> Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
>> Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-b9-ff-ff-fc-08-ed
>> Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
>> Kernel driver in use: wl
>> Kernel modules: wl
>>

>> Some logs from kernel and ping in attached file. I'm try to send this
>> email ten times, becouse wifi very bad work's with this driver =(
>>
>> --
>> Vasiliy Tolstov,
>> e-mail: [email protected]
>> jabber: [email protected]

2013-05-06 15:31:26

by Larry Finger

On 05/06/2013 05:45 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> 2013/5/6 Larry Finger <[email protected]>:
>> You are using a closed-source driver. None of us know what is in the code,
>> thus there is very little help we can give you other than to give general
>> suggestions. If you were using b43 or brcmsmac, the situation would be
>> different.
>

> Yes, but on last message i get response from broadcom and expect to
> see his answers.
> May be broadcom has own mailing list for bad things in their drivers?

My impression was that you were given a general answer, but that no specific
suggestions could be made. I don't think you should expect any more help from
the open-source community.

I am not aware of any mailing list for complaints about wl, but I never use it.

Larry

2013-05-05 22:05:37

by Larry Finger

On 05/05/2013 03:30 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> 2013/4/27 Vasiliy Tolstov <[email protected]>:
>> 2013/4/26 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
>>> Not really. You could try disabling powersave. I am not very familiar with
>>> wl driver.
>>>
>>> $ iw dev wlanX power_save off
>>>
>>> Can you still provide lsusb and lspci for all devices?
>>>
>>> Gr. AvS
>

> Any news?

You are using a closed-source driver. None of us know what is in the code, thus
there is very little help we can give you other than to give general
suggestions. If you were using b43 or brcmsmac, the situation would be different.

Larry

2013-05-07 08:44:50

by Arend van Spriel

On 05/06/2013 05:31 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 05/06/2013 05:45 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>> 2013/5/6 Larry Finger <[email protected]>:
>>> You are using a closed-source driver. None of us know what is in the
>>> code,
>>> thus there is very little help we can give you other than to give
>>> general
>>> suggestions. If you were using b43 or brcmsmac, the situation would be
>>> different.
>>

>> Yes, but on last message i get response from broadcom and expect to
>> see his answers.
>> May be broadcom has own mailing list for bad things in their drivers?
>
> My impression was that you were given a general answer, but that no
> specific suggestions could be made. I don't think you should expect any
> more help from the open-source community.

The only specific suggestion given by me was to turn off powersave, but
that was already tried. My knowledge of wl linux-sta driver is limited.

> I am not aware of any mailing list for complaints about wl, but I never
> use it.

Actually, there is: [email protected]

It can be found on the web page [1].

Regards,
Arend

[1] http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

2013-05-07 14:32:46

by Vasiliy Tolstov

2013/5/7 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
> The only specific suggestion given by me was to turn off powersave, but that
> was already tried. My knowledge of wl linux-sta driver is limited.
>

>> I am not aware of any mailing list for complaints about wl, but I never
>> use it.
>

> Actually, there is: [email protected]
>
> It can be found on the web page [1].
>
> Regards,
> Arend
>
> [1] http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Thanks, i'm try in broadcom list.

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]

2013-05-05 20:30:36

by Vasiliy Tolstov

2013/4/27 Vasiliy Tolstov <[email protected]>:
> 2013/4/26 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
>> Not really. You could try disabling powersave. I am not very familiar with
>> wl driver.
>>
>> $ iw dev wlanX power_save off
>>
>> Can you still provide lsusb and lspci for all devices?
>>
>> Gr. AvS

Any news?

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]

2013-05-17 14:18:31

by Arend van Spriel

On 05/17/2013 03:30 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> 2013/5/7 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
>> Actually, there is: [email protected]
>>
>> It can be found on the web page [1].
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arend
>>
>> [1] http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
>

> This email is dead. Nobody respond to me. May be exists another email list?

There should be someone on the receiving end. I did an internal query
with the info you provided so far.

Regards,
Arend

2013-05-17 13:31:00

by Vasiliy Tolstov

2013/5/7 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
> Actually, there is: [email protected]
>
> It can be found on the web page [1].
>
> Regards,
> Arend
>
> [1] http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

This email is dead. Nobody respond to me. May be exists another email list?

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]
jabber: [email protected]