2012-12-19 10:03:42

by George News

Subject: Change adhoc network speed not working

Hi all,

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit with a TPLink TL-WN821 v3. The driver
used is ath9k_htc. I'm creating an adhoc/ibss network and want to change
the bitrate of the network.

First of all I disable wireless from the network manager in order to be
able to execute my commands.

These are the commands I execute on both ends:

master$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
master$ sudo rfkill unblock wifi
master$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set type ibss
master$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set bitrates legacy-2.4 1
master$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
master$ sudo iw dev wlan0 ibss join adhoc_linux 2462
master$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 1.2.3.4 up
master$ iperf -s -u -l 1472

slave$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
slave$ sudo rfkill unblock wifi
slave$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set type ibss
slave$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set bitrates legacy-2.4 1
slave$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
slave$ sudo iw dev wlan0 scan | less
slave$ sudo iw dev wlan0 ibss join adhoc_linux 2462
slave$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 1.2.3.5 up
slave$ iperf -c 1.2.3.4 -u -b 100M -l 1472 -t 25 -i 1

As you can see I want to set the speed to 1 Mbps. However I don't know
why I get 25Mbps from iperf which is more or less the maximun speed for
802.11g (theoretically 54Mbps but in reality is something like 30Mbps).

The output of `iw dev wlan0 station dump` reports that both nodes are
attached to the same network at 54Mbps.

After testing that I have also tried with another command:

$ sudo iw dev wlan0 ibss join adhoc_linux 2462 basic-rates 1

But I got the same result.

I have tried many many things, putting the iface up, down, leaving the
ibss net, setting the speed while iface up, etc. I'm just stuck.

Any help is more than welcome.

Jorge

P.S.: Please include my email address in the reply as I'm not subscribed
to the list and otherwise I won't be receiving the answer.

2012-12-30 14:08:40

by Mohammed Shafi

Subject: Re: Change adhoc network speed not working

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM, George News <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit with a TPLink TL-WN821 v3. The driver used is
> ath9k_htc. I'm creating an adhoc/ibss network and want to change the bitrate
> of the network.
>
> First of all I disable wireless from the network manager in order to be able
> to execute my commands.
>
> These are the commands I execute on both ends:
>
> master$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
> master$ sudo rfkill unblock wifi
> master$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set type ibss
> master$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set bitrates legacy-2.4 1
> master$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
> master$ sudo iw dev wlan0 ibss join adhoc_linux 2462
> master$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 1.2.3.4 up
> master$ iperf -s -u -l 1472
>
> slave$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
> slave$ sudo rfkill unblock wifi
> slave$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set type ibss
> slave$ sudo iw dev wlan0 set bitrates legacy-2.4 1
> slave$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
> slave$ sudo iw dev wlan0 scan | less
> slave$ sudo iw dev wlan0 ibss join adhoc_linux 2462
> slave$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 1.2.3.5 up
> slave$ iperf -c 1.2.3.4 -u -b 100M -l 1472 -t 25 -i 1
>
> As you can see I want to set the speed to 1 Mbps. However I don't know why I
> get 25Mbps from iperf which is more or less the maximun speed for 802.11g
> (theoretically 54Mbps but in reality is something like 30Mbps).
>
> The output of `iw dev wlan0 station dump` reports that both nodes are
> attached to the same network at 54Mbps.
>
> After testing that I have also tried with another command:
>
> $ sudo iw dev wlan0 ibss join adhoc_linux 2462 basic-rates 1
>
> But I got the same result.
make sure you get this issue with the updated firmware and
driver(compat wireless)
would be best to see the packet rate by observing the ping packets in
a standalone sniffer.