2012-09-20 11:54:01

by Sabrina Schulte

Subject: decision for an access point

Hi,

I do not know if this is the right mailing list to ask. I am tying to
modify the association process in a carl9170 driver. I am looking for
the place, where the decision for a certain access point is done. Does
anyone know, where this decision or the sorting of a list of access
points is done?

Regards,
Sabrina Schulte

by Mohammed Shafi

Subject: Re: communication between driver and wpa_supplicant

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Sabrina Schulte
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not know if this is the right mailing list for this question, but I am
> looking for a way to handle the communication between the driver and the
> wpa_supplicant. Is there an interface that I could use to handle this
> communication, e.g. calling a function from the kernel in the userspace?

ex: nl80211 helps us to do it.
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation
To the very curious user :)

> I am very thankful for every hint.
>
> Regards,
> Sabrina
>
> --
> [email protected]

thanks,
shafi

2012-09-20 12:15:23

by Christian Lamparter

Subject: Re: decision for an access point

On Thursday 20 September 2012 13:53:59 Sabrina Schulte wrote:
> I do not know if this is the right mailing list to ask. I am tying to
> modify the association process in a carl9170 driver. I am looking for
> the place, where the decision for a certain access point is done. Does
> anyone know, where this decision or the sorting of a list of access
> points is done?
The decision is made by userspace (the driver is not involved).
In almost all cases this will be done by some sort of
"wpa_supplicant" (either directly, or through networkmanager, wicd, ...).

In wpa_supplicant itself, the network is usually picked from a
priority list (see function "wpa_supplicant_pick_network" in
wpa_supplicant/events.c)

Regards,
Chr

2012-09-24 13:59:37