2016-05-10 12:41:29

by Fisher Grubb

Subject: Realtek USB WiFi rtl8192eu

Hi all,

I don't know if this stick's driver is in the process of being
incorporated into the Kernel drivers, I havn't seen so yet.

I've put the full lsusb -v at end of email as its a lot of stuff.

Please let me know if any other info is needed about it, I'm not a
programmer but I have reasonable intermediate Linux knowledge.

I have been commonly using this stick with my ARM based BeagleBone
Black board, others commonly use it with their ARM based Raspberry
PIs.

lsusb gives:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

I'm not sure when Realtek released this version of their WiFi chip,
Linux source code comes on the driver CD, but usually doesn't compile
as it seems to be for older systems.

I've found 2 DKMS deb files that work, as well as somone's modified
source code on Github.

Its still buggy and I don't think gives signal strength etc.

Here's a link to modified source code on Github that compiled for me
and worked when the DKMS debs didn't:

https://github.com/bhuvanchandra/rtl8192eu

Here's a link to the 2 deb DKMS packages, usually one compiles and
works (the one with -2 at end of file name), it didn't compile on
Debian 7.9 on my BeagleBone Black board the other night, the other
one did, though I couldn't get it to work with the wex driver using
wpa_supplicant, complained of ioctl "operation not permitted" etc.

http://laptopke.be/files/Debian/
http://users.telenet.be/x86_64/Debian/

Hopefully this can be properly incorporated and standardised with most
commonly used driver/extensions etc as I understand that Realtek
drivers don't conform properly with the Kernel wireless extensions.

sudo lsusb -v:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0bda Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
idProduct 0x818b
bcdDevice 2.00
iManufacturer 1 Realtek
iProduct 2 802.11n NIC
iSerial 3 00e04c000001
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 53
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xe0
Self Powered
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 5
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 2 802.11n NIC
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x84 EP 4 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x05 EP 5 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x06 EP 6 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x87 EP 7 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 3
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x08 EP 8 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Binary Object Store Descriptor:
bLength 5
bDescriptorType 15
wTotalLength 12
bNumDeviceCaps 1
USB 2.0 Extension Device Capability:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 16
bDevCapabilityType 2
bmAttributes 0x00000002
Link Power Management (LPM) Supported
Device Status: 0x0001
Self Powered

2016-05-10 12:53:59

by Fisher Grubb

Subject: Re: Realtek USB WiFi rtl8192eu

Hi all,

The version of driver which I think came on my CD is
rtl8192EU_linux_v4.2.2_7585.20130524

Here's a page which may have the original code:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reserve-7

Here's another Github repository that claims to be more regularly
updated and links to a D-Link version of the driver (using same
Realtek chip):
https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver

Fisher