2011-11-29 01:50:23

by Robert Hancock

Subject: Poor performance and lockup with rt2800usb and Asus USB-N13 adapter

I recently got an Asus USB-N13 USB Wireless-N adapter which apparently
uses a Ralink RT3072 chip. I'm using it with an Asus RT-N16 access point
running TomatoUSB. When running Windows the performance is reasonable
(about 80 Mbps in both directions). However under Fedora 16 (currently
kernel 3.1.2) the performance is abysmal (10 Mbps or less with lots of
packet loss). I'll post some debug information below.

I have another adapter, a Trendnet which apparently is an RT3070 and
uses the same driver, which works much better (about 50 Mbps) despite
being only a 150 Mbps chip (1X MIMO) as opposed to 300 Mbps (2X MIMO)
like the Asus. Looking at the Minstrel rc_stat output it seems like a
lot of the MCS8-15 rates are being tried but the success is quite poor -
I'm not sure if this is a cause of the poor performance or an effect..

While debugging this I also noticed that doing an rmmod on rt2800usb
with the adapter plugged in locks up the machine and then spews out soft
lockup stack traces on the console. I was only able to capture it off
the screen with a camera, but it basically is:

rt2x00usb_work_rxdone
process_one_work
worker_thread
kthread
kernel_thread_helper

The output repeats periodically and it always seems to involve either
rt2x00usb_work_rxdone or rt2x00usb_work_txdone so it seems like we're
spinning through those functions for some reason. I can post/send the
image if anyone wants more details from the stack trace.

Linux nicole 3.1.2-1.fc16.i686 #1 SMP Tue Nov 22 08:56:28 UTC 2011 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

lsusb -vv:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0b05:1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. USB-N13 802.11n
Network Adapter [Ralink RT3072]
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0b05 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
idProduct 0x1784 USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter [Ralink RT3072]
bcdDevice 1.01
iManufacturer 1 Ralink
iProduct 2 802.11 n WLAN
iSerial 3 1.0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 67
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 450mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 7
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 5 1.0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x04 EP 4 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x05 EP 5 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x06 EP 6 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
bLength 10
bDescriptorType 6
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
bNumConfigurations 1