2012-08-23 04:58:57

by Lin Ming

Subject: wireless router performance differ with 2.4Ghz vs 5.0Ghz frequency

Hi list,

I have a wireless router with 2 wireless cards: 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz frequency.

The performance for 2.4Ghz is much worse than 5.0Ghz.

Does the frequency affect performance so much?

Thanks,
Lin Ming

2012-08-23 10:35:06

by Julian Calaby

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Lin Ming <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a wireless router with 2 wireless cards: 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz frequency.
>
> The performance for 2.4Ghz is much worse than 5.0Ghz.
>
> Does the frequency affect performance so much?

There are a lot of factors:
- Amounts of other networks on the same channel
- Noise
- Signal strength
etc.

It's quite possible that there are less networks on 5GHz channels
where you are so there's less noise, stronger signal, and therefore
better performance. Most routers are still only 2.4GHz.

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2012-08-23 15:28:43

by Chris Friesen

On 08/23/2012 04:34 AM, Julian Calaby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Lin Ming<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have a wireless router with 2 wireless cards: 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz frequency.
>>
>> The performance for 2.4Ghz is much worse than 5.0Ghz.
>>
>> Does the frequency affect performance so much?
> There are a lot of factors:
> - Amounts of other networks on the same channel
> - Noise
> - Signal strength
> etc.
>
> It's quite possible that there are less networks on 5GHz channels
> where you are so there's less noise, stronger signal, and therefore
> better performance. Most routers are still only 2.4GHz.

In addition to this you may wish to check your channel width. You may
be using 40MHz channels on 5GHz and 20MHz channels on 2.4GHz.

Chris