2016-02-15 10:16:50

by Arend Van Spriel

Subject: wireless dependency

Hi Kalle,

I am preparing a patch series for wireless-drivers-next, but there is
a dependency with patch that was submitted to wireless-drivers [1].
How should I handle this. Can I submit it for wireless-drivers-next as
well?

Regards,
Arend

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8061031/

2016-02-18 13:22:29

by Kalle Valo

Subject: Re: wireless dependency

Arend Van Spriel <[email protected]> writes:

> I am preparing a patch series for wireless-drivers-next, but there is
> a dependency with patch that was submitted to wireless-drivers [1].
> How should I handle this. Can I submit it for wireless-drivers-next as
> well?
>
> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8061031/

Commiting the same patch twice is not acceptable. I think the easiest is
that you submit the dependency patches separately and document in patch
(after "---" line) or in the cover letter what commits you need from
wireless-drivers and why. I can then merge wireless-drivers to
wireless-drivers-next.

--
Kalle Valo

2016-02-18 13:43:28

by Kalle Valo

Kalle Valo <[email protected]> writes:

> Arend Van Spriel <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I am preparing a patch series for wireless-drivers-next, but there is
>> a dependency with patch that was submitted to wireless-drivers [1].
>> How should I handle this. Can I submit it for wireless-drivers-next as
>> well?
>>
>> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8061031/
>
> Commiting the same patch twice is not acceptable. I think the easiest is
> that you submit the dependency patches separately and document in patch
> (after "---" line) or in the cover letter what commits you need from
> wireless-drivers and why. I can then merge wireless-drivers to
> wireless-drivers-next.

I just checked and the commit is already in net-next (I guess via net
tree) so there's actually no problem. This commit should be in
wireless-drivers-next in next few minutes (as soon as the compilation
finishes).

I also saw that you already submitted the patches you were talking
about. I can just drop the duplicate patch, no need to resend anything
because of this.

commit e0045bf80f62779ba75ba04513020d60e59f5298