2016-05-17 05:10:10

by Craig McQueen

Subject: rt2800 maximum clients in access point mode

What is the maximum number of clients that an rt2800 device can support simultaneously while in access point mode?

I've had a look through the Linux kernel code and searched online, but haven't been able to find an answer so far.

--
Craig McQueen

2016-05-17 06:34:58

by Kalle Valo

Subject: Re: rt2800 maximum clients in access point mode

Craig McQueen <[email protected]> writes:

> What is the maximum number of clients that an rt2800 device can
> support simultaneously while in access point mode?
>
> I've had a look through the Linux kernel code and searched online, but
> haven't been able to find an answer so far.

If you find the answer, please submit a patch to set
wiphy->max_ap_assoc_sta in the driver. That way the limit is clearly
visible and hostapd can make use of it.

--
Kalle Valo

2016-05-17 15:14:27

by Helmut Schaa

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Craig McQueen <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> What is the maximum number of clients that an rt2800 device can
>> support simultaneously while in access point mode?
>>
>> I've had a look through the Linux kernel code and searched online, but
>> haven't been able to find an answer so far.
>
> If you find the answer, please submit a patch to set
> wiphy->max_ap_assoc_sta in the driver. That way the limit is clearly
> visible and hostapd can make use of it.

As far as I remember, rt2800 has a limited key table (222 entries
according to the comments in the code).
Adding more STAs worked fine for me last time I tried (couple of years
ago). In that
case rt2800 should fall back to software crypto.

Helmut