2013-04-15 12:20:59

by Kalle Valo

Subject: ath10k: mac80211 driver for QCA9880

Hi,

I just pushed initial version of ath10k, our new driver for QCA9880 &
co, to github.com:

https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k

The driver is pretty small, roughly 14 kLOC. Even if the name implies
that this is an evolution from ath9k, the drivers are actually very
different. The biggest difference is that there's now firmware running
on the chip.

Once ath10k is ready I will send it for proper review. But we are not
quite there yet.

--
Kalle Valo

2013-04-16 03:56:14

by Ben Greear

Subject: Re: ath10k: mac80211 driver for QCA9880

On 04/15/2013 05:20 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just pushed initial version of ath10k, our new driver for QCA9880 &
> co, to github.com:
>
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k
>
> The driver is pretty small, roughly 14 kLOC. Even if the name implies
> that this is an evolution from ath9k, the drivers are actually very
> different. The biggest difference is that there's now firmware running
> on the chip.
>
> Once ath10k is ready I will send it for proper review. But we are not
> quite there yet.

Is there any info on it's expected support for virtual stations, APs, etc?

Hardware is still hard to come by it seems..hope that changes soon!

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Helmut Schaa

Hi Kalle,

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just pushed initial version of ath10k, our new driver for QCA9880 &
> co, to github.com:

Nice, any idea when these devices will be available to the public?
Helmut

2013-04-22 05:37:43

by Adrian Chadd

.. as I said, there's no schedule for releasing firmware source for
the QCA988x 11ac NICs.

For now, please proceed as if there will never be a firmware source release.

If this ever changes, us in the QCA team will let everyone know. (Most
likely by saying "hey, go here! there's source! yay!.")

adrian

2013-04-15 22:57:19

by Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:20:54 +0300
Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
>The biggest difference is that there's now firmware running on the
>chip.
Will the firmware be released as free software at some point?

Denis.

2013-04-16 07:34:22

by Kalle Valo

Hi Helmut,

Helmut Schaa <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I just pushed initial version of ath10k, our new driver for QCA9880 &
>> co, to github.com:
>
> Nice, any idea when these devices will be available to the public?

Luckily I'm in a position where I don't need to speak with marketing and
sales so I have no idea :)

--
Kalle Valo

2013-04-21 23:23:01

by Julian Calaby

Hi Edward,

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Edward <[email protected]> wrote:
> Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@...> writes:
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:20:54 +0300
>> Kalle Valo <kvalo@...> wrote:
>> >The biggest difference is that there's now firmware running on the
>> >chip.
>> Will the firmware be released as free software at some point?
>
> Does it matter? The firmware is just a binary logic black box. It's not
> likely to even see more than a handful of revisions after the actual
> products hit the market.

I believe the question was asked as Atheros / Qualcomm has a history
of releasing firmware for their devices, i.e. the ar9170 and ar7010 /
ar9271 chips, I believe Denis was wondering if this practise would
continue.

> As long as the driver remains open I don't see any problems with the
> open-driver-closed-firmware combination. Intel and Ralink has adopted this
> practice to great success, and I don't see any reason why Atheros can't do
> the same.

I don't believe anyone has problems with things being done this way,
we'd just like to know if there's a release scheduled.

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2013-04-16 04:26:14

by Sujith Manoharan

Ben Greear wrote:
> Is there any info on it's expected support for virtual stations, APs, etc?

There are limitations on the maximum number of virtual interfaces and stations
right now. But, the FW is being fixed to support more nodes/interfaces.
Nevertheless, it can't be compared with ath9k. :)

Sujith

2013-04-21 13:05:09

by Edward

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:20:54 +0300
> Kalle Valo <kvalo@...> wrote:
> >The biggest difference is that there's now firmware running on the
> >chip.
> Will the firmware be released as free software at some point?
>
> Denis.

Does it matter? The firmware is just a binary logic black box. It's not
likely to even see more than a handful of revisions after the actual
products hit the market.

As long as the driver remains open I don't see any problems with the
open-driver-closed-firmware combination. Intel and Ralink has adopted this
practice to great success, and I don't see any reason why Atheros can't do
the same.

2013-04-15 22:58:58

by Adrian Chadd

On 15 April 2013 11:40, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:20:54 +0300
> Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>The biggest difference is that there's now firmware running on the
>>chip.
> Will the firmware be released as free software at some point?

There's currently no plans to open source the firmware for ath10k chips.

So it's best to assume the answer is "no".

We'll be sure to tell people if this ever changes.

Adrian

2013-05-03 10:48:07

by Kalle Valo

Kalle Valo <[email protected]> writes:

> I just pushed initial version of ath10k, our new driver for QCA9880 &
> co, to github.com:
>
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k
>
> The driver is pretty small, roughly 14 kLOC. Even if the name implies
> that this is an evolution from ath9k, the drivers are actually very
> different. The biggest difference is that there's now firmware running
> on the chip.
>
> Once ath10k is ready I will send it for proper review. But we are not
> quite there yet.

I pushed the firmware temporarily here:

https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware

I also created a small page to the wiki:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath10k

But now anyone with QCA9880 or QCA9888 should be able to run ath10k now.
If someone does that we would be very interested about feedback.

--
Kalle Valo