2014-09-04 18:59:39

by Ben Greear

Subject: I cannot disable RTS/CTS on ath9k.

My setup is thus:

ath9k station
ath10k AP (RTS not enabled)
ath9k monitor (on separate machine)

I tried enabling (value 1024) and and also disabling RTS on the station.

The station was forced to reconnect after setting the RTS value on
the phy.

But, we sniff RTS being sent by station regardless of the ath9k settings.

I verified RTS configured as requested using 'iw phy phy0 info' and looking
for RTS.

Is there something else that might cause RTS to be sent even when station
is not configured for RTS?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Sergey Ryazanov

Subject: Re: I cannot disable RTS/CTS on ath9k.

> My setup is thus:
>
> ath9k station
> ath10k AP (RTS not enabled)
> ath9k monitor (on separate machine)
>
> I tried enabling (value 1024) and and also disabling RTS on the station.
>
> The station was forced to reconnect after setting the RTS value on
> the phy.
>
> But, we sniff RTS being sent by station regardless of the ath9k settings.
>
> I verified RTS configured as requested using 'iw phy phy0 info' and looking
> for RTS.
>
> Is there something else that might cause RTS to be sent even when station
> is not configured for RTS?

Rate control module can do this. About a year ago there was a
discussion of this feature of minstrel.

--
BR,
Sergey

2014-09-04 21:09:29

by Ben Greear

On 09/04/2014 01:58 PM, Sergey Ryazanov wrote:
>> My setup is thus:
>>
>> ath9k station
>> ath10k AP (RTS not enabled)
>> ath9k monitor (on separate machine)
>>
>> I tried enabling (value 1024) and and also disabling RTS on the station.
>>
>> The station was forced to reconnect after setting the RTS value on
>> the phy.
>>
>> But, we sniff RTS being sent by station regardless of the ath9k settings.
>>
>> I verified RTS configured as requested using 'iw phy phy0 info' and looking
>> for RTS.
>>
>> Is there something else that might cause RTS to be sent even when station
>> is not configured for RTS?
>>
> Rate control module can do this. About a year ago there was a
> discussion of this feature of minstrel.

Thanks, that must be this thread:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/84459

I think that explains much of my confusion. I too would like a way to
really disable RTS for testing. On a mostly quiet channel, sending UDP
frames one way, I still see lots of RTS/CTS, which must mean there are
lots of retries (assuming Minstel-HT is cause of this).

Not what I wanted to find at this late date in my release cycle :P

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Sujith Manoharan

Ben Greear wrote:
> Thanks, that must be this thread:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/84459
>
> I think that explains much of my confusion. I too would like a way to
> really disable RTS for testing. On a mostly quiet channel, sending UDP
> frames one way, I still see lots of RTS/CTS, which must mean there are
> lots of retries (assuming Minstel-HT is cause of this).

The confusion arises from the command usage.

It should be "iw phy phyname set rts <rts threshold|no rts threshold>",
or something similar, because "rts off" actually removes the threshold,
it doesn't disable RTS/CTS.

Sujith