2015-01-19 09:41:51

by Johannes Berg

Subject: REMINDER: wireless workshop in Ottawa

We're holding a wireless workshop at the netdev0.1 conference
(https://www.netdev01.org/) on the first day (Feb 14th)

As the wiki is currently locked down for editing for the migration,
please send agenda proposals to this thread - I'll put it up on the
wiki. I'd also appreciate (private!) email if you're planning to attend.

If you haven't registered, make sure you do so. There's an option for a
single day and for the whole 4-day conference. The hotel room rate also
expires this Friday.

johannes

2015-01-20 16:01:53

by Bob Copeland

Subject: Re: REMINDER: wireless workshop in Ottawa

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:41:47AM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> We're holding a wireless workshop at the netdev0.1 conference
> (https://www.netdev01.org/) on the first day (Feb 14th)
>
> As the wiki is currently locked down for editing for the migration,
> please send agenda proposals to this thread - I'll put it up on the
> wiki. I'd also appreciate (private!) email if you're planning to attend.

I can spend about 15 minutes on the following if there is interest:

- current state of 802.11s including recent userspace work, and
some out-of-tree kernel odds and ends

- my embryonic wmediumd fork, particularly would like some feedback as
to how it might be made useful (or not) for automated test cases

--
Bob Copeland %% http://bobcopeland.com/

2015-01-20 17:59:48

by Arend van Spriel

On 01/19/15 10:41, Johannes Berg wrote:
> We're holding a wireless workshop at the netdev0.1 conference
> (https://www.netdev01.org/) on the first day (Feb 14th)
>
> As the wiki is currently locked down for editing for the migration,
> please send agenda proposals to this thread - I'll put it up on the
> wiki. I'd also appreciate (private!) email if you're planning to attend.
>
> If you haven't registered, make sure you do so. There's an option for a
> single day and for the whole 4-day conference. The hotel room rate also
> expires this Friday.

I am afraid I will be "committing a netdev crime" [1] because I will not
attend. Still there is one topic that would be interesting for this
conf/workshop. Recent experiences with 11ac devices has shown us that
the congestion control mechanisms in the networking subsystem are not
optimal for wireless in general which becomes even more visible with
11ac (or it is just our devices :-p ). If there are people in the
community working in this area it would be great to collaborate on it.
Let me know. I know Dave Taht is the usual suspect to talk to about this
so Cc'ed him explicitly.

Regards,
Arend

[1] http://mid.gmane.org/[email protected]

> johannes

by Avery Pennarun

Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am afraid I will be "committing a netdev crime" [1] because I will
> not attend. Still there is one topic that would be interesting for
> this conf/workshop. Recent experiences with 11ac devices has shown us
> that the congestion control mechanisms in the networking subsystem are
> not optimal for wireless in general which becomes even more visible
> with 11ac (or it is just our devices :-p ). If there are people in the
> community working in this area it would be great to collaborate on it.
> Let me know. I know Dave Taht is the usual suspect to talk to about
> this so Cc'ed him explicitly.

I'm planning to be there, and I work with Dave Taht regularly about
such things. I would love to have a discussion about these issues
with whoever is willing to listen :)

Also, you have not experienced congestion control problems until
you've tried to get TCP to do a gigabit per second with 30+
milliseconds of latency on a slightly lossy network.

Have fun,

Avery