2013-11-12 12:13:56

by Alessandro Gnagni

Subject: Trying to add support of 802.11ac broadcom chpiset to openwrt

Hi,
i am trying to implement on a smart city network a solution based on
high end home routers like the asus RT-AC66U.
we want to use openwrt for that but unfortunately the broadcom driver
isn't yet supported.
I have one rt-ac66u here for development, there is anything that i can
do for help?
i came here after a suggestion of one member on openwrt forum:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=217341#p217341

i also read this past email:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg110443.html

Thx for attention.

2013-11-12 17:51:10

by Arend van Spriel

On 11/12/2013 01:13 PM, Alessandro Gnagni wrote:
> Hi,
> i am trying to implement on a smart city network a solution based on
> high end home routers like the asus RT-AC66U.
> we want to use openwrt for that but unfortunately the broadcom driver
> isn't yet supported.
> I have one rt-ac66u here for development, there is anything that i can
> do for help?
> i came here after a suggestion of one member on openwrt forum:
> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=217341#p217341
>
> i also read this past email:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg110443.html

Not sure what 11ac chipset is used. The upstream brcm80211 drivers
currently only support one 11ac chipset, ie. the bcm4335. This is a
single stream with SDIO host interface supported by the fullmac driver
brcmfmac.

For chipsets like 4360 we need to add AC phy support to brcmsmac. So far
we do not have green light to do so.

Regards,
Arend

> Thx for attention.

by Adrian Chadd

On 12 November 2013 09:50, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 11/12/2013 01:13 PM, Alessandro Gnagni wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> i am trying to implement on a smart city network a solution based on
>> high end home routers like the asus RT-AC66U.
>> we want to use openwrt for that but unfortunately the broadcom driver
>> isn't yet supported.
>> I have one rt-ac66u here for development, there is anything that i can
>> do for help?
>> i came here after a suggestion of one member on openwrt forum:
>> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=217341#p217341
>>
>> i also read this past email:
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg110443.html
>

> Not sure what 11ac chipset is used. The upstream brcm80211 drivers currently
> only support one 11ac chipset, ie. the bcm4335. This is a single stream with
> SDIO host interface supported by the fullmac driver brcmfmac.
>
> For chipsets like 4360 we need to add AC phy support to brcmsmac. So far we
> do not have green light to do so.
>
> Regards,
> Arend

Hiya,

Is this still the status quo? I'd like to start porting updated
broadcom support to FreeBSD for Apple Macintosh users who would like
11ac NIC support.

-a

2014-01-27 21:36:17

by Arend van Spriel

On 01/27/2014 08:10 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 12 November 2013 09:50, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 11/12/2013 01:13 PM, Alessandro Gnagni wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> i am trying to implement on a smart city network a solution based on
>>> high end home routers like the asus RT-AC66U.
>>> we want to use openwrt for that but unfortunately the broadcom driver
>>> isn't yet supported.
>>> I have one rt-ac66u here for development, there is anything that i can
>>> do for help?
>>> i came here after a suggestion of one member on openwrt forum:
>>> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=217341#p217341
>>>
>>> i also read this past email:
>>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg110443.html
>>

>> Not sure what 11ac chipset is used. The upstream brcm80211 drivers currently
>> only support one 11ac chipset, ie. the bcm4335. This is a single stream with
>> SDIO host interface supported by the fullmac driver brcmfmac.
>>
>> For chipsets like 4360 we need to add AC phy support to brcmsmac. So far we
>> do not have green light to do so.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arend
>
> Hiya,
>
> Is this still the status quo? I'd like to start porting updated
> broadcom support to FreeBSD for Apple Macintosh users who would like
> 11ac NIC support.

Hi Adrian,

Interesting. A while ago someone wanted to port brcmsmac to a BSD flavor
(not sure which one). Now brcmsmac as-is today uses BCMA bus driver
which goes under GPL-v2, which may or may not be a problem. Apple Mac
users probably have 4360 and that hurdle is also still there.

Gr. AvS