2014-11-07 14:28:04

by Sergey Ryazanov

Subject: Re: [ath5k-devel] Rookie needs helps with ath5k basics

Cc linux-wireless since Rostislav Lisovy just working on adding
802.11p to the stack.

<[email protected]>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am still working to adapt the ath5k module to transmit in the
> 5850..5925GHz range, in order to comply with IEEE 802.11p requirements. Our
> plan is to liberate the code to the community as soon as we develop it.
>
> I have already compiled a new regdomains database with wireless-regdb and
> crda, and we are using the module in ATH5K_TEST_CHANNELS mode. The database
> is now defined as follows:
>
> (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (3, 27)
> (5170 - 5250 @ 40), (3, 17)
> (5250 - 5330 @ 40), (3, 20)
> (5490 - 5600 @ 40), (3, 20)
> (5650 - 5710 @ 40), (3, 20)
> (5735 - 5835 @ 40), (3, 30)
> (5835 - 5925 @ 10), (3, 30)
>
> However, when I execute "iw wlan1 ibss join TFG 5850" it returns the -22
> error number, indicating that we are using a frequency not defined.

> <[email protected]>:
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for not giving an answer until now,
>> but first I had to talk with my project advisor. The reason we chose ath5k
>> was that the cards we bought used it and all information we gather about
>> this kind of projects were related to that driver.
>>
>> I also have talked with my advisor and whatever we accomplish will come
>> back to the community.
>>
>> I am just starting with the project and I am needing some guides, the tips
>> and info you all gave me will be very helpful. I will keep on working and
>> will tell you if I get something done.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Hern?n M. G. C.

>>> ... because some of the 802.11p NICs are actually ath5k NICs that have
>>> the relevant bandpass filters for 5.9GHz and high output amplifiers.
>>>

>>> -a

BR,
Sergey

2014-11-07 15:10:11

by Bruno Randolf

Hi,

I don't remember all the details but there are various places which can
limit the available channels in ath5k. Check

ath5k_is_standard_channel()
ath5k_setup_channels()
ath5k_setup_bands()

in drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k/base.c

Good luck!

bruno

On 11/07/2014 02:27 PM, Sergey Ryazanov wrote:
> Cc linux-wireless since Rostislav Lisovy just working on adding
> 802.11p to the stack.

> <[email protected]>:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am still working to adapt the ath5k module to transmit in the
>> 5850..5925GHz range, in order to comply with IEEE 802.11p requirements. Our
>> plan is to liberate the code to the community as soon as we develop it.
>>
>> I have already compiled a new regdomains database with wireless-regdb and
>> crda, and we are using the module in ATH5K_TEST_CHANNELS mode. The database
>> is now defined as follows:
>>
>> (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (3, 27)
>> (5170 - 5250 @ 40), (3, 17)
>> (5250 - 5330 @ 40), (3, 20)
>> (5490 - 5600 @ 40), (3, 20)
>> (5650 - 5710 @ 40), (3, 20)
>> (5735 - 5835 @ 40), (3, 30)
>> (5835 - 5925 @ 10), (3, 30)
>>
>> However, when I execute "iw wlan1 ibss join TFG 5850" it returns the -22
>> error number, indicating that we are using a frequency not defined.

>> <[email protected]>:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for not giving an answer until now,
>>> but first I had to talk with my project advisor. The reason we chose ath5k
>>> was that the cards we bought used it and all information we gather about
>>> this kind of projects were related to that driver.
>>>
>>> I also have talked with my advisor and whatever we accomplish will come
>>> back to the community.
>>>
>>> I am just starting with the project and I am needing some guides, the tips
>>> and info you all gave me will be very helpful. I will keep on working and
>>> will tell you if I get something done.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> Hern?n M. G. C.

by Adrian Chadd

Hi,

right. The default NIC EEPROM setup doesn't include those channels
because they haven't tested them out.

If you have an 802.11p regulatory compliant NIC then it should have
the 11p frequencies show up in the EEPROM channel range.

So you should definitely first check that the NIC EEPROM has those as
available channels. :)

-adrian