2013-11-30 19:11:26

by Adam Williamson

Subject: Support for Atheros chipset with SDIO ID 0271:0418 ?

Hi, folks - I hope this is the appropriate place, it's as close as I
could manage to Google myself :) I recently bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro -
a Bay Trail / Valley View-based Intel tablet - to try and get Fedora
running on it. Among the many things I'm currently fighting :), the
wireless doesn't work - no driver is loaded, no interface appears at
all. Using the Device Manager in Windows 8 I've managed to identify it
as being attached via SDIO and having the device ID 0271:0418 . It calls
itself a "Dell Wireless 1538", but by the ID and various other details
about the Windows driver it's clearly a Qualcomm/Atheros part.

So the ath6kl-sdio driver in the kernel advertises support for:

alias: sdio:c*v0271d0401*
alias: sdio:c*v0271d0400*
alias: sdio:c*v0271d0301*
alias: sdio:c*v0271d0300*

Looks pretty close, but no cigar. I'm having trouble finding any more
information on the chipset than what I've outlined above. It seems most
likely that it's a variant of the AR6004 for Dell, but that's just my
best guess.

Is there any hope of getting support for this device in ath6kl or any
other driver? Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

2013-11-30 19:48:06

by Adrian Chadd

Well, the problem is twofold:

* what weird variants are required, command wise, and
* what firmware/patches are required for the unit?

I'll ask Kalle when he's back.

-adrian

2013-11-30 19:42:22

by Oleksij Rempel

Am 30.11.2013 20:11, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> Hi, folks - I hope this is the appropriate place, it's as close as I
> could manage to Google myself :) I recently bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro -
> a Bay Trail / Valley View-based Intel tablet - to try and get Fedora
> running on it. Among the many things I'm currently fighting :), the
> wireless doesn't work - no driver is loaded, no interface appears at
> all. Using the Device Manager in Windows 8 I've managed to identify it
> as being attached via SDIO and having the device ID 0271:0418 . It calls
> itself a "Dell Wireless 1538", but by the ID and various other details
> about the Windows driver it's clearly a Qualcomm/Atheros part.
>
> So the ath6kl-sdio driver in the kernel advertises support for:
>
> alias: sdio:c*v0271d0401*
> alias: sdio:c*v0271d0400*
> alias: sdio:c*v0271d0301*
> alias: sdio:c*v0271d0300*
>
> Looks pretty close, but no cigar. I'm having trouble finding any more
> information on the chipset than what I've outlined above. It seems most
> likely that it's a variant of the AR6004 for Dell, but that's just my
> best guess.
>
> Is there any hope of getting support for this device in ath6kl or any
> other driver? Thanks!

If this device continued HIF/WMI tradition, then most probably it works
same way like ar5523, ath6kl-sdio or ath9k-htc do.
The question is, do all WMI commands present?
Oleksij

2013-12-04 08:05:57

by Adam Williamson

On Sat, 2013-11-30 at 11:48 -0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Well, the problem is twofold:
>
> * what weird variants are required, command wise, and
> * what firmware/patches are required for the unit?
>
> I'll ask Kalle when he's back.

In the meantime, I tried the most obvious hack - patch the ID 0418 -
into the driver, to no effect at all. modinfo confirms it has an alias
for the ID 0271:0418 after my patch, but the module isn't loaded on
boot, and if I load it manually, I get the usual "Calling CRDA to update
world regulatory domain" and nothing else at all. It's as if the kernel
actually isn't seeing the hardware at all, so there may be something
that needs to be solved at a lower level before this can work...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey