2014-01-22 19:09:20

by Charles

Subject: wl12xx force lower bitrate

I'm using the wl12xx-spi driver with a TI wl1271 chipset. In my
application, range is more important than throughput, so I want to
force a lower bitrate (like 802.11b speeds at the fastest.)

None of the commands for doing this seem to have any effect, however.
I've tried both iwconfig and iw.

Is forcing a lower bitrate possible with this driver / firmware / chipset?

2014-01-23 12:06:02

by Luca Coelho

Subject: Re: wl12xx force lower bitrate

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 14:09 -0500, Charles wrote:
> I'm using the wl12xx-spi driver with a TI wl1271 chipset. In my
> application, range is more important than throughput, so I want to
> force a lower bitrate (like 802.11b speeds at the fastest.)
>
> None of the commands for doing this seem to have any effect, however.
> I've tried both iwconfig and iw.
>
> Is forcing a lower bitrate possible with this driver / firmware / chipset?

Rate control should do this automatically. If you have good signal
conditions, it will use the highest possible rate. If things start to
degrade (as if you get further away from the AP), the rate will drop.

--
Luca.

2014-01-23 14:49:59

by Charles

>> I'm using the wl12xx-spi driver with a TI wl1271 chipset. In my
>> application, range is more important than throughput, so I want to
>> force a lower bitrate (like 802.11b speeds at the fastest.)
>>
>> None of the commands for doing this seem to have any effect, however.
>> I've tried both iwconfig and iw.
>>
>> Is forcing a lower bitrate possible with this driver / firmware / chipset?
>
> Rate control should do this automatically. If you have good signal
> conditions, it will use the highest possible rate. If things start to
> degrade (as if you get further away from the AP), the rate will drop.

I know about automatic rate control. But in our experience, 802.11b
adapters perform better at the margins (of range), possibly because
their rate is not jumping around as much. I know there is allowance
within iwconfig and iw for fixing bitrate, but I have yet to find an
adapter/driver where this functionality works.