2019-11-01 17:04:54

by Tom Psyborg

Subject: [RFC] ath10k: interface combination with monitor

Hi

Is there a way to run monitor mode interface independent on STA/AP
interface presence or their state?
I am using airodump-ng/airmon-ng and I've noticed that while mon
interface is brought up airodump-ng is unable to find any beacons
unless sta interface is brought down. That is with QCA9880 devices,
while with QCA9377 airodump-ng only finds beacons if the sta interface
is associated to an AP.
Does this need firmware change to work or driver changes are sufficient?

2019-11-01 17:32:41

by Ben Greear

On 11/1/19 10:03 AM, Tom Psyborg wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a way to run monitor mode interface independent on STA/AP
> interface presence or their state?
> I am using airodump-ng/airmon-ng and I've noticed that while mon
> interface is brought up airodump-ng is unable to find any beacons
> unless sta interface is brought down. That is with QCA9880 devices,
> while with QCA9377 airodump-ng only finds beacons if the sta interface
> is associated to an AP.
> Does this need firmware change to work or driver changes are sufficient?

I would expect it to work. Have you tried -ct firmware on 9880 in this
manner?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Tom Psyborg

Tried this fw: https://www.candelatech.com/downloads/firmware-2-ct-full-community-21.bin
Used ath10k driver as there is no ct driver for 5.4 yet.

Same as with QCA firmware