2019-12-18 22:45:41

by Tom Psyborg

Subject: Re: [RESEND] ath10k: add tx hw 802.11 encapusaltion offloading support

ccing Johannes Berg since upstream change (mac80211-next) breaks build:

In the commit log its written: remove SUPPORTS_80211_ENCAP HW flag

Any sane reasons for doing that? mac80211 fails to build because of
removed flags, this is on backports-5.3-rc4

Other than that the feature delivers the promised:
QCA9880 iperf between wired and wireless machine
native mode 449Mbps
ethernet mode 522Mbps

2019-12-18 23:18:58

by John Crispin

On 18/12/2019 23:45, Tom Psyborg wrote:
> ccing Johannes Berg since upstream change (mac80211-next) breaks build:
>
> In the commit log its written: remove SUPPORTS_80211_ENCAP HW flag
>
> Any sane reasons for doing that? mac80211 fails to build because of
> removed flags, this is on backports-5.3-rc4
>
> Other than that the feature delivers the promised:
> QCA9880 iperf between wired and wireless machine
> native mode 449Mbps
> ethernet mode 522Mbps

superseded due to johill's fixup of the patch, new version coming up
John

2019-12-19 06:36:42

by Sebastian Gottschall

Am 18.12.2019 um 23:45 schrieb Tom Psyborg:
> ccing Johannes Berg since upstream change (mac80211-next) breaks build:
>
> In the commit log its written: remove SUPPORTS_80211_ENCAP HW flag
>
> Any sane reasons for doing that? mac80211 fails to build because of
> removed flags, this is on backports-5.3-rc4
>
> Other than that the feature delivers the promised:
> QCA9880 iperf between wired and wireless machine
> native mode 449Mbps
> ethernet mode 522Mbps
johns patch does not work for qca9880 wave 1 chipsets. it works only for
10.4 firmares like 9984, ipq40xx  etc. the 9880 has no benefit from it
and has no effect.

so your test seem to have false results

Sebastian

2019-12-19 10:32:21

by Tom Psyborg

On 19/12/2019, Sebastian Gottschall <[email protected]> wrote:

> Am 18.12.2019 um 23:45 schrieb Tom Psyborg:
>> ccing Johannes Berg since upstream change (mac80211-next) breaks build:
>>
>> In the commit log its written: remove SUPPORTS_80211_ENCAP HW flag
>>
>> Any sane reasons for doing that? mac80211 fails to build because of
>> removed flags, this is on backports-5.3-rc4
>>
>> Other than that the feature delivers the promised:
>> QCA9880 iperf between wired and wireless machine
>> native mode 449Mbps
>> ethernet mode 522Mbps
> johns patch does not work for qca9880 wave 1 chipsets. it works only for
> 10.4 firmares like 9984, ipq40xx etc. the 9880 has no benefit from it
> and has no effect.
>
> so your test seem to have false results
>
> Sebastian

no way. check that you applied code correctly and enabled ethernetmode
parameter. iperf or ping also wouldn't start from wired machine in
ethernetmode unless pinged from wireless machine first

2019-12-19 10:45:54

by Sebastian Gottschall

> no way. check that you applied code correctly and enabled ethernetmode
> parameter. iperf or ping also wouldn't start from wired machine in
> ethernetmode unless pinged from wireless machine first
let me verify this again. maybe i'm wrong.

2019-12-19 14:42:17

by Tom Psyborg

in core.c there is also needed ethernetmode check in
ath10k_core_init_firmware_features

ar->wmi.rx_decap_mode = ATH10K_HW_TXRX_NATIVE_WIFI

replace with

if (ethernetmode)
ar->wmi.rx_decap_mode = ATH10K_HW_TXRX_ETHERNET
else
ar->wmi.rx_decap_mode = ATH10K_HW_TXRX_NATIVE_WIFI

QSDK driver sets it like that when using eth mode

2019-12-28 03:21:31

by Tom Psyborg

On 19/12/2019, John Crispin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 18/12/2019 23:45, Tom Psyborg wrote:
>> ccing Johannes Berg since upstream change (mac80211-next) breaks build:
>>
>> In the commit log its written: remove SUPPORTS_80211_ENCAP HW flag
>>
>> Any sane reasons for doing that? mac80211 fails to build because of
>> removed flags, this is on backports-5.3-rc4
>>
>> Other than that the feature delivers the promised:
>> QCA9880 iperf between wired and wireless machine
>> native mode 449Mbps
>> ethernet mode 522Mbps
>>

> superseded due to johill's fixup of the patch, new version coming up
> John

in case it doesn't fix up scan crash i can provide more details.

triggering scan (from luci at least) would always crash the driver
unless vdev was already started, right after the message: mac create
vdev 0 map ffff