2024-01-17 08:37:50

by Lukas Bulwahn

Subject: Question about reference to config KERNEL_6_2

Dear Johannes, dear Gregory,

I am a kernel janitor checking for issues in kernel build config
options in the repository. Amongst others, I check for references to
config options that have not been defined anywhere in the tree using
an existing script in the repository,
./scripts/checkkconfigsymbols.py.

At the beginning of this year, I checked which issues were introduced
in 2023 and were not yet resolved by others or my janitor work
throughout the year. In other words, looking at some issues that
simply slipped through last year.

Commit ffbd0c8c1e7f ("wifi: mac80211: add an element parsing unit
test") and commit 730eeb17bbdd ("wifi: cfg80211: add first kunit
tests, for element defrag") add new configs that depend on
!KERNEL_6_2, but the config option KERNEL_6_2 does not exist in the
tree.

Also, Kalle Valo [1] asked during patch review about that, but did not
get any response on the mailing list.

So, what is the KERNEL_6_2 option all about? Is this something that
was just used locally for early development?

Can we just delete this dependency in these two config options?

If so, I will gladly send a patch for that.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email protected]/

Best regards,

Lukas

2024-01-17 08:48:04

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: Question about reference to config KERNEL_6_2

> Commit ffbd0c8c1e7f ("wifi: mac80211: add an element parsing unit
> test") and commit 730eeb17bbdd ("wifi: cfg80211: add first kunit
> tests, for element defrag") add new configs that depend on
> !KERNEL_6_2, but the config option KERNEL_6_2 does not exist in the
> tree.
>
> Also, Kalle Valo [1] asked during patch review about that, but did not
> get any response on the mailing list.

Oops, I probably thought I'd clean that up and forgot.

> So, what is the KERNEL_6_2 option all about? Is this something that
> was just used locally for early development?

It's a backport-ism (backports.wiki.kernel.org) to restrict the option
to certain kernels.

> Can we just delete this dependency in these two config options?

Yes, we should.

johannes

2024-01-17 08:55:51

by Kalle Valo

Johannes Berg <[email protected]> writes:

>> Commit ffbd0c8c1e7f ("wifi: mac80211: add an element parsing unit
>> test") and commit 730eeb17bbdd ("wifi: cfg80211: add first kunit
>> tests, for element defrag") add new configs that depend on
>> !KERNEL_6_2, but the config option KERNEL_6_2 does not exist in the
>> tree.
>>
>> Also, Kalle Valo [1] asked during patch review about that, but did not
>> get any response on the mailing list.
>
> Oops, I probably thought I'd clean that up and forgot.

Heh, I also forgot to follow up on that :) Great Lukas that you noticed it.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

2024-01-18 08:37:40

by Lukas Bulwahn

> > Can we just delete this dependency in these two config options?
>
> Yes, we should.

Johannes,

In case, you did not fix it up yourself yet, here is a quick patch for
you to pick up:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/

Lukas