2018-02-12 19:10:44

by Ali Abedi

Subject: 802.11ac devices that use Minstrel_HT

Hello,

It seems that Minstrel_ht rate adaptation algorithm supports 802.11ac
VHT rates.
Can you refer me to some 802.11ac devices that use this rate adaptation
algorithm?
I need to modify the rate adaptation algorithm however all 802.11ac
devices that I know have moved this functionality to (closed) firmware.

Best,
Ali

2018-02-13 13:35:13

by Lorenzo Bianconi

Subject: Re: 802.11ac devices that use Minstrel_HT

> Thank you, this is extremely helpful for us.
> Do you know any device that supports more than 2 spatial streams? (Is mt76
> capable of supporting more spacial streams at the moment?)
>
> Best,
> Ali

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> It seems Lorenzo Bianconi used an D-Link DIR-860L rev B1 [1]
>>>
>> Yes, I used it for a while; at the moment to work on mt76 code I am
>> using Buffalo wsr1166
>> Regards,
>>
>> Lorenzo
>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Sven
>>>
>>> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8393091/

mt76 driver supports just 2x2:2 based devices for the moment

Lorenzo

--
UNIX is Sexy: who | grep -i blonde | talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch;
unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; gasp; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp;

2018-02-13 07:52:31

by Sven Eckelmann

On Montag, 12. Februar 2018 14:05:36 CET Ali Abedi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that Minstrel_ht rate adaptation algorithm supports 802.11ac
> VHT rates.
> Can you refer me to some 802.11ac devices that use this rate adaptation
> algorithm?
> I need to modify the rate adaptation algorithm however all 802.11ac
> devices that I know have moved this functionality to (closed) firmware.

Following files use IEEE80211_TX_RC_VHT_MCS in drivers/net/wireless:

* intel/iwlwifi/mvm/tx.c
* mac80211_hwsim.c
* mediatek/mt76/mt76x2_mac.c
* mediatek/mt76/mt76x2_tx.c
* realtek/rtlwifi/base.c
* realtek/rtlwifi/rc.c

Following files from the candidates are providing their own rate_control_ops:

* realtek/rtlwifi/
* intel/iwlwifi/mvm/rs.c
* intel/iwlwifi/dvm/rs.c

So I would currently bet on hwsim (only useful when you only want to have some
simulations) or mt76. Afaik mt76 was also the one which was used to test the
VHT rate injection code for monitor interfaces and is therefore quite
flexible.

Kind regards,
Sven

Attachments:
signature.asc (833.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part.

2018-02-13 13:15:54

by Sven Eckelmann

On Dienstag, 13. Februar 2018 07:56:29 CET Ali Abedi wrote:
> > So I would currently bet on hwsim (only useful when you only want to have some
> > simulations) or mt76. Afaik mt76 was also the one which was used to test the
> > VHT rate injection code for monitor interfaces and is therefore quite
> > flexible.
[...]
> Thank you Sven. I was actually wondering what hardware was used to test
> the code.

It seems Lorenzo Bianconi used an D-Link DIR-860L rev B1 [1]

Kind regards,
Sven

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8393091/

Attachments:
signature.asc (833.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part.

2018-02-12 19:37:06

by Rosen Penev

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:05 AM, Ali Abedi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that Minstrel_ht rate adaptation algorithm supports 802.11ac VHT
> rates.
> Can you refer me to some 802.11ac devices that use this rate adaptation
> algorithm?
> I need to modify the rate adaptation algorithm however all 802.11ac devices
> that I know have moved this functionality to (closed) firmware.

Devices with support for the mt76 do not do rate adaptation in
firmware as far as I can tell. This may also be the case with the
mt7601u driver.
> Best,
> Ali

2018-02-13 13:26:05

by Lorenzo Bianconi

> On Dienstag, 13. Februar 2018 07:56:29 CET Ali Abedi wrote:
>> > So I would currently bet on hwsim (only useful when you only want to have some
>> > simulations) or mt76. Afaik mt76 was also the one which was used to test the
>> > VHT rate injection code for monitor interfaces and is therefore quite
>> > flexible.
> [...]
>> Thank you Sven. I was actually wondering what hardware was used to test
>> the code.
>
> It seems Lorenzo Bianconi used an D-Link DIR-860L rev B1 [1]

Yes, I used it for a while; at the moment to work on mt76 code I am
using Buffalo wsr1166
Regards,

Lorenzo

> Kind regards,
> Sven
>
> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8393091/

--
UNIX is Sexy: who | grep -i blonde | talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch;
unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; gasp; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp;
umount; make clean; sleep

2018-02-13 13:32:52

by Ali Abedi