2014-10-15 19:34:36

by Frank Langille

Subject: ipw2200 driver in kernels 3+

Hi, my apologies if I am sending this email to the wrong place.

I recently started toying with an old Dell laptop that uses the very
old ipw2200 intel network driver/firmware mentioned above.

I think support for this item remains in the kernel, as indicated by
the continued existence of
/linux/drivers/net/wireless/ipw2X00/ipw2200.c and ipw2200.h and
corresponding firmware. However, the menuconfig option to select this
driver seems to have disappeared sometime after kernel 3.4.104, which
is the last longterm version I can see that allows me to include the
driver in my build.

Is it possible to have the option made available again? I realize the
request is trivial but think it's worth mentioning, having lost a few
hairs trying to understand what was going on :)

Cheers,

Frank

2014-10-15 21:19:28

by Stanislav Yakovlev

Subject: Re: ipw2200 driver in kernels 3+

Hello Frank,

On 15 October 2014 12:34, Frank Langille <[email protected]> wrote:
> ... the menuconfig option to select this
> driver seems to have disappeared sometime after kernel 3.4.104, which
> is the last longterm version I can see that allows me to include the
> driver in my build.
>
> Is it possible to have the option made available again?

Yes it is, to do so you need to enable old wireless extensions support
(CONFIG_CFG80211_WEXT), Network support-> Wireless-> cfg80211 wireless
configuration API -> cfg80211 wireless extension computability.

Stanislav.