2014-03-10 05:06:15

by Shuduo Sang

Subject: wifi driver or USB might leads suspend/resume failure on thinkpad X1 carbon

Hi,

Sorry for cross posting. I'm suffering an issue my Thinkpad X1 Carbon
can't resume after suspend recently. I tried many ways including
latest vanilla kernel, latest stable 3.13 and 3.11 kernel but it still
happens. I found it will not happen when I turn off WIFI device or USB
3.0 in BIOS. So I suspect something need fix in either wifi driver or
USB side. Since Windows 7 works good so I suppose no hardware issue.
Anyone has some ideas to fix it or debug it?

Thanks,
Shuduo

lspci -vnn output:
..
sniped
..
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1
(rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 2218
Memory at f052d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Capabilities: [58] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0
Capabilities: [98] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
..
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 83)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 7c-7a-91-ff-ff-5e-4c-cd
Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1 Len=014 <?>
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwifi

2014-03-10 13:52:26

by Emmanuel Grumbach

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Shuduo Sang <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Attach dmesg output. If any other log you need, I can capture too.
>>> Actually I tried 3.14-rc6, 3.13.6 and 3.11.10.
>>
>> This looks healthy.
>>
>> Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
>>
>> can you use no_console_suspend?
>
> Yes, this log is already output from the kernel I compile with
> no_console_suspend.

Hmm... weird...
Don't know how we can debug this further then...

2014-03-10 10:50:24

by Emmanuel Grumbach

>>> I have disabled WIFI device in BIOS, then its suspend/resume works.
>>>

>> Do you have any logs to share?
>> I supposed you tested 3.13.6 right?
>
> Attach dmesg output. If any other log you need, I can capture too.
> Actually I tried 3.14-rc6, 3.13.6 and 3.11.10.

This looks healthy.

Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)

can you use no_console_suspend?

2014-03-10 06:11:46

by Emmanuel Grumbach

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Shuduo Sang <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for cross posting. I'm suffering an issue my Thinkpad X1 Carbon
> can't resume after suspend recently. I tried many ways including
> latest vanilla kernel, latest stable 3.13 and 3.11 kernel but it still
> happens. I found it will not happen when I turn off WIFI device or USB
> 3.0 in BIOS. So I suspect something need fix in either wifi driver or
> USB side. Since Windows 7 works good so I suppose no hardware issue.
> Anyone has some ideas to fix it or debug it?
>
> Thanks,
> Shuduo

If you disable WiFi only (without touching USB 3.0 in BIOS), it works?
How do you disable WiFi? Rfkill or removing iwlwifi?

> lspci -vnn output:
> ..
> sniped
> ..
> 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1
> (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
> Subsystem: Lenovo Device 2218
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
> Memory at f052d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
> Capabilities: [58] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0
> Capabilities: [98] PCI Advanced Features
> Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
> ..
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 83)
> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 59
> Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
> Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
> Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
> Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
> Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
> Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 7c-7a-91-ff-ff-5e-4c-cd
> Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
> Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1 Len=014 <?>
> Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
> Kernel modules: iwlwifi

by Shuduo Sang

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Emmanuel Grumbach <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Shuduo Sang <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Emmanuel Grumbach <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> If you disable WiFi only (without touching USB 3.0 in BIOS), it works?
>>> How do you disable WiFi? Rfkill or removing iwlwifi?
>>>

>> I have disabled WIFI device in BIOS, then its suspend/resume works.
>>

> Do you have any logs to share?
> I supposed you tested 3.13.6 right?

Attach dmesg output. If any other log you need, I can capture too.
Actually I tried 3.14-rc6, 3.13.6 and 3.11.10.

Attachments:
x1-carbon-2nd-gen-suspend.log (34.63 kB)

2014-03-10 13:20:43

by Shuduo Sang

>>> Do you have any logs to share?
>>> I supposed you tested 3.13.6 right?
>>
>> Attach dmesg output. If any other log you need, I can capture too.
>> Actually I tried 3.14-rc6, 3.13.6 and 3.11.10.
>
> This looks healthy.
>
> Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
>
> can you use no_console_suspend?

Yes, this log is already output from the kernel I compile with
no_console_suspend.

2014-03-10 06:55:10

by Shuduo Sang

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Emmanuel Grumbach <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Shuduo Sang <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for cross posting. I'm suffering an issue my Thinkpad X1 Carbon
>> can't resume after suspend recently. I tried many ways including
>> latest vanilla kernel, latest stable 3.13 and 3.11 kernel but it still
>> happens. I found it will not happen when I turn off WIFI device or USB
>> 3.0 in BIOS. So I suspect something need fix in either wifi driver or
>> USB side. Since Windows 7 works good so I suppose no hardware issue.
>> Anyone has some ideas to fix it or debug it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shuduo
>>

> If you disable WiFi only (without touching USB 3.0 in BIOS), it works?
> How do you disable WiFi? Rfkill or removing iwlwifi?

I have disabled WIFI device in BIOS, then its suspend/resume works.

>> lspci -vnn output:
>> ..
>> sniped
>> ..
>> 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1
>> (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
>> Subsystem: Lenovo Device 2218
>> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
>> Memory at f052d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
>> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
>> Capabilities: [58] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0
>> Capabilities: [98] PCI Advanced Features
>> Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
>> ..
>> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 83)
>> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
>> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 59
>> Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
>> Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
>> Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
>> Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
>> Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
>> Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 7c-7a-91-ff-ff-5e-4c-cd
>> Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
>> Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1 Len=014 <?>
>> Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
>> Kernel modules: iwlwifi
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

by Emmanuel Grumbach

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Shuduo Sang <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Emmanuel Grumbach <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Shuduo Sang <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sorry for cross posting. I'm suffering an issue my Thinkpad X1 Carbon
>>> can't resume after suspend recently. I tried many ways including
>>> latest vanilla kernel, latest stable 3.13 and 3.11 kernel but it still
>>> happens. I found it will not happen when I turn off WIFI device or USB
>>> 3.0 in BIOS. So I suspect something need fix in either wifi driver or
>>> USB side. Since Windows 7 works good so I suppose no hardware issue.
>>> Anyone has some ideas to fix it or debug it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shuduo
>>>

>> If you disable WiFi only (without touching USB 3.0 in BIOS), it works?
>> How do you disable WiFi? Rfkill or removing iwlwifi?
>>

> I have disabled WIFI device in BIOS, then its suspend/resume works.

Do you have any logs to share?
I supposed you tested 3.13.6 right?

2014-03-18 16:03:46

by Shuduo Sang

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Emmanuel Grumbach <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> This looks healthy.
>>>
>>> Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
>>>
>>> can you use no_console_suspend?
>>
>> Yes, this log is already output from the kernel I compile with
>> no_console_suspend.
>
> Hmm... weird...
> Don't know how we can debug this further then...

Update: The defect in BIOS be found finally.