2012-02-10 21:46:35

by Claudio Rossi

Subject: How to debug the linux wireless driver

Dear all,
I have started to modify the linux wireless (mac80211) in order to
had some MAC layer statistics. I am using compat-wireless-3.2-rc6-3
and this is my first kernel programming experience. I do not know how
to face programming errors without corrupting a kernel version, e.g.,
due to my modification to the code, in this moment I get a black
screen with kernel 2.6.32-37-generic. I have now booted with
2.6.32-38-generic: how can I restore the previous version of the
modules in the kernel 2.6.37-generic?

Moreover, is there any way to do a sort of debug ?

Thank you

--
Claudio Rossi
-------------------

2012-02-13 11:19:54

by Mohammed Shafi

Subject: Re: How to debug the linux wireless driver

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Claudio Rossi
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear all,
> ?I have started to modify the linux wireless (mac80211) in order to
> had some MAC layer statistics. I am using compat-wireless-3.2-rc6-3
> and this is my first kernel programming experience. I do not know how
> to face programming errors without corrupting a kernel version, e.g.,
> due to my modification to the code, in this moment I get a black
> screen with ?kernel 2.6.32-37-generic. I have now booted with
> 2.6.32-38-generic: how ?can I restore the previous version of the
> modules in the kernel 2.6.37-generic?

*may be you can try to switch off your wifi with the help of rfkill
switch, boot your machine and install a new compat wireless

*or boot with 2.6.32-38-generic and remove mac80211.ko (or) your driver files in
/lib/modules/2.6.32-37../updates/net/mac80211