2012-07-19 10:41:26

by Sergei Poselenov

Subject: Access Point Mode for Ralink RT5370?

Hello,

Does compat-wireless support the Access Point mode for the Ralink
RT5370 chip? The driver source pack from the Ralink site only supports
Managed and Ad-Hoc modes.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sergei Poselenov, Emcraft Systems

2012-07-19 10:44:15

by Ivo Van Doorn

Subject: Re: Access Point Mode for Ralink RT5370?

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Sergei Poselenov
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does compat-wireless support the Access Point mode for the Ralink
> RT5370 chip? The driver source pack from the Ralink site only supports
> Managed and Ad-Hoc modes.

Yes, the rt2x00-based drivers as found in the compat-wireless package
are working in AP mode.

Ivo

2012-08-07 15:01:45

by Sergei Poselenov

Hello Ivo, all,

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:44:14 +0200
Ivo Van Doorn <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Sergei Poselenov
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does compat-wireless support the Access Point mode for the Ralink
> > RT5370 chip? The driver source pack from the Ralink site only
> > supports Managed and Ad-Hoc modes.
>
> Yes, the rt2x00-based drivers as found in the compat-wireless package
> are working in AP mode.

I'm trying to set the master mode and it fails:
~ # iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
~ #

The Linux Wireless FAQ here
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/FAQ#Q:_iwconfig_wlan0_mode_master_does_not_work
tells me that I should use hostapd instead of iwconfig to configure the
master mode.

However, for my project the WiFi security is not required. Also, I'm
working on a custom ARM board with Linux 2.6.33 running.

Could you please confirm I should really port hostapd to my target to
configure my USB WiFi as Access Point?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sergei Poselenov, Emcraft Systems

> Ivo

2012-08-16 15:28:42

by Sergei Poselenov

Subject: Re: Access Point Mode for Ralink RT5370? - Success

Hello Ivo, all,

I just want to report that we successfully built and configured DWA-140
(rev B3, RT5370 chip) USB-WiFi in access point mode. For this, we built
vcompat-wireless modules and hostapd and lbnl (required by hostapd).

Our target is the LPC1788 (ARM Cortex-M3 SOC) running Linux 2.6.33,
with USB support.

Our toolchain combo is CodeSourcery arm-2010q1, with uClibc modified to
support clone() and linuxthreads.

Thank you for your comments.

Regards,
Sergei Poselenov, Emcraft Systems

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 17:38:53 +0200
Ivo Van Doorn <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,

> >> Yes, the rt2x00-based drivers as found in the compat-wireless
> >> package are working in AP mode.
> >>

> > I'm trying to set the master mode and it fails:
> > ~ # iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
> > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> > SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
> > ~ #
> >
> > The Linux Wireless FAQ here
> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/FAQ#Q:_iwconfig_wlan0_mode_master_does_not_work
> > tells me that I should use hostapd instead of iwconfig to configure
> > the master mode.
> >
> > However, for my project the WiFi security is not required. Also, I'm
> > working on a custom ARM board with Linux 2.6.33 running.
>
> But the FAQ doesn't say you need hostapd for WiFi Security, it says
> if you want master mode, you must use hostapd..
>
> > Could you please confirm I should really port hostapd to my target
> > to configure my USB WiFi as Access Point?
>
> Yes, you _must_ use hostapd.
>
> Ivo

2012-08-07 15:38:54