2012-11-19 19:00:42

by Javier Cardona

Subject: Recent change in netns/unshare behavior regarding phy's

Hi,

We recently noticed a change in behaviour that broke some of our
tests. We normally run multiple phy's on different namespaces. In
the past we could "pull" a phy from one namespace (ns1) into another
(ns2) by name. E.g. if ns1 had two phy's (phy0 and phy1), we could
execute the following in ns2:

iw phy phy1 set netns $BASHPID

and that would pull phy1 into ns2.

We cannot do this anymore. The above command only works from ns1
(i.e. "pushing" a phy from the namespace that owns it into another).
This makes scripting a bit more complicated as ns1 needs to know the
pid associated with ns2 (you can see the broken script here:
https://github.com/cozybit/open80211s/wiki/HwsimTestTemplate)

Does anyone if this change was intended?

Cheers,

Javier

--
Javier Cardona