2014-01-09 19:13:55

by Steven Bateman

Subject: FW: Issue with authentication to Aerohive APs

From: Steven Bateman <[email protected]>
Date: Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:34 AM
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>,
"[email protected]"
<[email protected]>
Subject: Issue with authentication to Aerohive APs

Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of about 4 or 5 users that are having issues
connecting to a WLAN that I manage. The majority of the information can be
found at the following link, including relevant logs. I've enclosed the
packet capture
from next to the station with failed authentications.

http://community.aerohive.com/aerohive/topics/issue_with_linux_connectivity
_in_a_high_density_wlan

We seem to have narrowed it down to a possible driver or firmware bug, but
I'm reliant on the user to provide me requested information. At the moment
I'm requesting that the user upgrade or downgrade his firmware or kernel in
case that changes the behavior.

I'd like to submit this to this group for review, and to see if you can
elucidate what might be happening so I that I can work towards a solution
with these users.

Thanks!

Steve Bateman
Wireless Engineer

The FoundationGet Back To Work.
311 North 7th Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55401
612.465.0700 Main
612.787.3202 Direct

612.338.9322 Faxhttp://www.fndtn.com <http://www.fndtn.com/>
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/thefndtn> | Twitter
<http://twitter.com/thefndtn> | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/companies/276539>

Attachments:
bf4a73 failed authentications.pcap (14.02 kB)
bf4a73 failed authentications.pcap

2014-01-09 19:29:51

by Larry Finger

On 01/09/2014 01:13 PM, Steven Bateman wrote:
> From: Steven Bateman <[email protected]>
> Date: Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:34 AM
> To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>,
> "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]>
> Subject: Issue with authentication to Aerohive APs
>

> Hello,
>

> I'm writing on behalf of about 4 or 5 users that are having issues
> connecting to a WLAN that I manage. The majority of the information can be
> found at the following link, including relevant logs. I've enclosed the
> packet capture
> from next to the station with failed authentications.
>
> http://community.aerohive.com/aerohive/topics/issue_with_linux_connectivity
> _in_a_high_density_wlan
>
> We seem to have narrowed it down to a possible driver or firmware bug, but
> I'm reliant on the user to provide me requested information. At the moment
> I'm requesting that the user upgrade or downgrade his firmware or kernel in
> case that changes the behavior.
>
> I'd like to submit this to this group for review, and to see if you can
> elucidate what might be happening so I that I can work towards a solution
> with these users.

For completeness, what device/driver pair(s) and kernel versions are the Linux
user(s) running?

Larry

2014-01-20 10:33:11

by Johannes Berg

On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 19:13 +0000, Steven Bateman wrote:

> I'm writing on behalf of about 4 or 5 users that are having issues
> connecting to a WLAN that I manage. The majority of the information can be
> found at the following link, including relevant logs. I've enclosed the
> packet capture from next to the station with failed authentications.

How did you capture/filter the attached file? It shows no
acknowledgement of the EAPOL packets, but no retries either, so you
probably filtered out the acknowledgements. That leads me to believe
that maybe there was something wrong with those EAPOL frames, maybe
wpa_supplicant didn't get or didn't expect them?

What makes you so sure it's a driver/firmware bug rather than a bug
related to wpa_supplicant or interaction with it?

johannes