2008-02-15 06:14:58

by Pavel Roskin

Subject: Both rt2500usb and rt73 claim USB device 148f:2573

Hello!

My Level One WNC-0301USB v3 has USB ID 148f:2573, which is listed as
compatible both in rt2500usb.c and rt73usb.c. It only works with rt73
but not with rt2500usb.

Is this duplication intentional?

I'm looking at the current wireless-2.6/everything

Pavel Roskin

2008-02-15 13:27:56

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Friday 15 February 2008, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Quoting Mark Wallis <[email protected]>:
>
> > Hi Pavel,
> >
> > On 15/02/2008, at 5:14 PM, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> >
> >> My Level One WNC-0301USB v3 has USB ID 148f:2573, which is listed as
> >> compatible both in rt2500usb.c and rt73usb.c. It only works with rt73
> >> but not with rt2500usb.
> >>
> >> Is this duplication intentional?
> >
> > I'm afraid so. That particular manufacturer I believe changed the
> > chipset they were using without updating their USD device ID's. We have
> > seen this a few times now and the only solution we have been able to
> > provide is to give the users instructions for blacklisting the
> > incorrect driver.
> >
> > I believe this has been discussed on this list previously.
>
> Thanks and sorry for the noise.

P.S. your lucky it is only listed in 2 drivers. Some USB ID's
(mostly coming from Linksys) are known to have 4 different drivers
variating from Broadcom, Prism and Ralink. ;)

Ivo

2008-02-15 07:07:39

by Pavel Roskin

Quoting Mark Wallis <[email protected]>:

> Hi Pavel,
>
> On 15/02/2008, at 5:14 PM, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
>> My Level One WNC-0301USB v3 has USB ID 148f:2573, which is listed as
>> compatible both in rt2500usb.c and rt73usb.c. It only works with rt73
>> but not with rt2500usb.
>>
>> Is this duplication intentional?
>
> I'm afraid so. That particular manufacturer I believe changed the
> chipset they were using without updating their USD device ID's. We have
> seen this a few times now and the only solution we have been able to
> provide is to give the users instructions for blacklisting the
> incorrect driver.
>
> I believe this has been discussed on this list previously.

Thanks and sorry for the noise.

Pavel Roskin

2008-02-15 06:55:31

by Mark Wallis

Hi Pavel,

On 15/02/2008, at 5:14 PM, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> My Level One WNC-0301USB v3 has USB ID 148f:2573, which is listed as
> compatible both in rt2500usb.c and rt73usb.c. It only works with rt73
> but not with rt2500usb.
>
> Is this duplication intentional?

I'm afraid so. That particular manufacturer I believe changed the
chipset they were using without updating their USD device ID's. We
have seen this a few times now and the only solution we have been able
to provide is to give the users instructions for blacklisting the
incorrect driver.

I believe this has been discussed on this list previously.

Regards,
Mark Wallis
rt2x00 Driver Team
[email protected]