2007-03-09 19:56:49

by Williams, Jeffrey D.

Subject: Airgo Networks Wireless Card Linux support

Hello all,

As the airgo networks wireless cards are not currently supported, in Linux
and I can find no projects with that aim, I am looking for someone, or a
group, to help rememdy that. I have already begun reverse engineering
from some of the available drivers in the hopes of developing a
specification similar in scope to the bcm-specs project. Is there anyone
out there at all interested in pursuing this with me?

I'm not sure that this is the correct venue for this question, if not
perhaps someone here can point me in the correct direction.

Thank you,
Jeff

2007-03-12 15:02:45

by John W. Linville

Subject: Re: Airgo Networks Wireless Card Linux support

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 01:08:55AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 00:38 -0400, Michael Wu wrote:
>
> > Well, if you're willing to write specs, I'll help write the driver. Silly
> > question first however - have you asked Airgo Networks if they are willing to
> > help with a Linux driver?
>
> From
> http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1134910,00.html
>
> "Joe felt that Airgo Networks should be commended for its honorable
> handling of OSS, but he still had no luck there. When he called the
> company, he found out that no Linux drivers will be available for the
> Airgo chip set until late 2005 or early 2006."
>
> Oh well. At least they are not against the idea of Linux drivers.

A reply from 13 February 2007 to a query a made a day or two before that:

"Thank you for your inquiry. At this time we do not have Linux drivers
for Airgo products. Please check back on our web for new products and
updates. With focus on delivering our next generation of solutions, we
are not able to support outside development efforts." [1]

At this point I have to recommend that all Linux users avoid Airgo
hardware unless/until either Airgo decides to support its hardware or
someone is successful with a reverse engineering effort. I expect
that there will be other .11n hardware supported on Linux in the
near future.

Regarding reverse engineering, please do follow the example set by the
bcm43xx team. We don't need any more drivers of questionable origin.

Thanks,

John

[1] To which I replied "If you don't have time to support me, how will
you ever have time to write your own driver?" Of course, I have had
no response to that one.
--
John W. Linville

by Pavel Roskin

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 00:38 -0400, Michael Wu wrote:

> Well, if you're willing to write specs, I'll help write the driver. Silly
> question first however - have you asked Airgo Networks if they are willing to
> help with a Linux driver?

From
http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1134910,00.html

"Joe felt that Airgo Networks should be commended for its honorable
handling of OSS, but he still had no luck there. When he called the
company, he found out that no Linux drivers will be available for the
Airgo chip set until late 2005 or early 2006."

Oh well. At least they are not against the idea of Linux drivers.

Pavel Roskin

2007-03-12 04:39:39

by Michael Wu

On Friday 09 March 2007 14:52, Jeff Williams wrote:
> As the airgo networks wireless cards are not currently supported, in Linux
> and I can find no projects with that aim, I am looking for someone, or a
> group, to help rememdy that. I have already begun reverse engineering
> from some of the available drivers in the hopes of developing a
> specification similar in scope to the bcm-specs project. Is there anyone
> out there at all interested in pursuing this with me?

Well, if you're willing to write specs, I'll help write the driver. Silly
question first however - have you asked Airgo Networks if they are willing to
help with a Linux driver?

> I'm not sure that this is the correct venue for this question, if not
> perhaps someone here can point me in the correct direction.

This mailing list is fine.

Thanks,
-Michael Wu

Attachments:
(No filename) (840.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Doragh, Phil

Airgo no longer an independent company, it was purchased by Qualcomm last year, you would need to contact Qualcomm now to obtain OSS support.

Phil Doragh