2009-04-03 05:12:50

by Larry Finger

Subject: Directory in sysfs being truncated

Greg and Kay,

The wireless driver b43legacy uses a leds-class entry to interact with the
rfkill subsystem to control the radio LED. The name under which the LED is
registered is "b43legacy-phy0::radio", which is 21 characters in length. When
the corresponding directory is created in sysfs, the name is truncated to 19
characters due to the "#define BUS_ID_SIZE 20" statement in include/linux/device.h.

Marcel Holtmann wrote that he understood that this limitation will be
eliminated, and suggested that I contact you regarding this matter. I was
thinking of changing the driver so as to be able to control the naming; however,
if this limitation will be relaxed then I will just wait.

Thanks,

Larry

2009-04-03 05:16:19

by Kay Sievers

Subject: Re: Directory in sysfs being truncated

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 07:12, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> The wireless driver b43legacy uses a leds-class entry to interact with the
> rfkill subsystem to control the radio LED. The name under which the LED is
> registered is "b43legacy-phy0::radio", which is 21 characters in length. When
> the corresponding directory is created in sysfs, the name is truncated to 19
> characters due to the "#define BUS_ID_SIZE 20" statement in include/linux/device.h.
>
> Marcel Holtmann wrote that he understood that this limitation will be
> eliminated, and suggested that I contact you regarding this matter. I was
> thinking of changing the driver so as to be able to control the naming; however,
> if this limitation will be relaxed then I will just wait.

The limit is gone already:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=1fa5ae857bb14f6046205171d98506d8112dd74e

Kay