2013-07-03 16:32:11

by Xavier

Subject: compat-wireless is not avalaible ?

Hi to all,

Why

http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.2/compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.tar.bz2

is not avalilable ?

Where it's available ?

Thanks, see you.

2013-07-03 19:16:41

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: compat-wireless is not avalaible ?

On 07/03/2013 01:48 PM, Xavier wrote:

> Thanks for your answer.
>
> This is a good link, but I need compat-wireless stable for 3.2 version of Linux
> kernel.
>
> In that link, there are all for >= 3.7 Linux kernel version.
>
> Exist any site for 3.2 Linux kernel version of compat-wireless ?
>
> Thanks, see you.

You do not understand compat-wireless, now called backports.

The version listed, such as 3.7, is for the *source* of the code included. The
package includes *all* the necessary code for it to be built on kernel 2.6.24
*OR NEWER*. If you were to find a 3.2 version of compat-wireless, it would have
exactly the same drivers as were released with 3.2, and there would be no reason
for you to use it! The link you were given will work for 3.2.

Larry

2013-07-03 18:48:42

by Xavier

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 08:02:31PM +0200, Sven-Haegar Koch wrote:

Hi Sven-Haegar,

> On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Xavier wrote:
>
> > Why

http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.2/compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.tar.bz2

> > is not avalilable ?
> >
> > Where it's available ?
>
> Have a look at
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/stable/
for
> newer versions.

Thanks for your answer.

This is a good link, but I need compat-wireless stable for 3.2 version
of Linux kernel.

In that link, there are all for >= 3.7 Linux kernel version.

Exist any site for 3.2 Linux kernel version of compat-wireless ?

Thanks, see you.

2013-07-03 18:09:54

by Sven-Haegar Koch

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Xavier wrote:

> Why
>
> http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.2/compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.tar.bz2
>
> is not avalilable ?
>
> Where it's available ?

Have a look at
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/stable/ for
newer versions.

c'ya
sven-haegar

--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
- Ben F.

2013-07-03 22:29:08

by Sven-Haegar Koch

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Xavier wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 08:02:31PM +0200, Sven-Haegar Koch wrote:
>
> Hi Sven-Haegar,
>
> > On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Xavier wrote:
> >
> > > Why
> > >

> http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.2/compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.tar.bz2
> > >
> > > is not avalilable ?
> > >
> > > Where it's available ?
> >
> > Have a look at
> > https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/stable/
> for
> > newer versions.
> >

> Thanks for your answer.
>
> This is a good link, but I need compat-wireless stable for 3.2 version of
> Linux kernel.

"for 3.2 version", or "the wireless code as it was in the 3.2 version"?

Wsing compat-wireless (or now backports) from 3.2 with kernel 3.2 makes
no sense, at it is exactly the same code.

The backports package 3.10 works with a linux kernel 3.2 - after all,
thats the reason they are backports.

> In that link, there are all for >= 3.7 Linux kernel version.

Not "for" - FROM.

backports 3.10rcX is the wireless (plus now DRI) code from 3.10rcX to
use it on older kernels.

> Exist any site for 3.2 Linux kernel version of compat-wireless ?

I have no idea if there are still public archives of the older
compat-wireless around. At worst you can recreate them using the git
repositories and the kernel git yourself.
https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/ may have some documentation about how
to go about this.

c'ya
sven-haegar