2014-05-20 08:11:43

by Robert P. J. Day

Subject: if i deselect PCIEPORTBUS, why are iwlwifi PCIE modules still being compiled?

quite possibly a silly question (which has never stopped me before),
but in perusing the PCIE code in the kernel source, i was looking for
sample code to demo in a classroom setting and picked on
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/pcie, which i was *assuming* was
PCIE-dependent -- specifically, i was going to demo the Advanced-N
6235 PCIE wifi card on an intel galileo board.

but i thought it was a bit strange that the pcie/ subdirectory there
doesn't seem to depend on PCIEPORTBUS. as a test, i deselected
PCIEPORTBUS in a configuration and did a rebuild, and the source in
the pcie/ directory was recompiled.

am i misunderstanding the function of the kernel config variable
PCIEPORTBUS? i notice that .../iwlwifi/Makefile includes the line:

iwlwifi-objs += pcie/drv.o pcie/rx.o pcie/tx.o pcie/trans.o

which simply compiles those files with no regard to dependency. can
someone clarify this? thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

by Robert P. J. Day

On Tue, 20 May 2014, Johannes Berg wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 05:28 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > > The whole driver depends on CONFIG_PCI, maybe it should depend on
> > > something more PCIe specific, but that wasn't easy to sort out, and
> > > the APIs it needs aren't PCIe specific afaict.
> >
> > ok, i'll have to think about that for a few minutes. am i at least
> > correct in my understanding that, technically, the kernel config
> > option PCIEPORTBUS is supposed to control whether one wants basic PCIE
> > support or not?
>
> I don't know, sorry.

ok, i think i'll go hassle people on the linux-pci list about this,
thanks for your patience.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

by Arend van Spriel

On 05/20/14 10:27, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 03:49 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> quite possibly a silly question (which has never stopped me before),
>> but in perusing the PCIE code in the kernel source, i was looking for
>> sample code to demo in a classroom setting and picked on
>> drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/pcie, which i was *assuming* was
>> PCIE-dependent -- specifically, i was going to demo the Advanced-N
>> 6235 PCIE wifi card on an intel galileo board.
>>
>> but i thought it was a bit strange that the pcie/ subdirectory there
>> doesn't seem to depend on PCIEPORTBUS. as a test, i deselected
>> PCIEPORTBUS in a configuration and did a rebuild, and the source in
>> the pcie/ directory was recompiled.
>>
>> am i misunderstanding the function of the kernel config variable
>> PCIEPORTBUS? i notice that .../iwlwifi/Makefile includes the line:
>>
>> iwlwifi-objs += pcie/drv.o pcie/rx.o pcie/tx.o pcie/trans.o
>>
>> which simply compiles those files with no regard to dependency. can
>> someone clarify this? thanks.
>
> The whole driver depends on CONFIG_PCI, maybe it should depend on
> something more PCIe specific, but that wasn't easy to sort out, and the
> APIs it needs aren't PCIe specific afaict.

Correct. A number of PCIe specific calls are under CONFIG_PCI, ie.
pcie_capability_*() et al.

Regards,
Arend

> johannes

by Johannes Berg

On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 05:28 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > The whole driver depends on CONFIG_PCI, maybe it should depend on
> > something more PCIe specific, but that wasn't easy to sort out, and
> > the APIs it needs aren't PCIe specific afaict.
>
> ok, i'll have to think about that for a few minutes. am i at least
> correct in my understanding that, technically, the kernel config
> option PCIEPORTBUS is supposed to control whether one wants basic PCIE
> support or not?

I don't know, sorry.

johannes

2014-05-20 09:31:29