2009-04-26 15:59:45

by Maxim Levitsky

Subject: PHY hangs on AR2425 (AR5007EG)

I updated today the kernel, on aspire one to the latest
wireless-testing.

Still it has the same issue it had, and I want to ask you if you have
any ideas about it.

The issue is that if I load its TX unit up to it's maximum throughput,
it stalls each and every few seconds, and only way to make it work
again, is to reset it (doing iwlist scan for example, or wait till
driver resets it).

I could reproduce the above even with lighter loads, but less often.

In winxp, I get 2.7 download / 2.3 upload speeds, and the speed is
constant.

(it survived 15 minutes of testing in both directions at above speeds)

What do you think,

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

2009-04-29 20:24:33

by Maxim Levitsky

Subject: Re: PHY hangs on AR2425 (AR5007EG)

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 18:59 +0300, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> I updated today the kernel, on aspire one to the latest
> wireless-testing.
>
> Still it has the same issue it had, and I want to ask you if you have
> any ideas about it.
>

> The issue is that if I load its TX unit up to it's maximum throughput,
> it stalls each and every few seconds, and only way to make it work
> again, is to reset it (doing iwlist scan for example, or wait till
> driver resets it).
>
> I could reproduce the above even with lighter loads, but less often.
>
> In winxp, I get 2.7 download / 2.3 upload speeds, and the speed is
> constant.
>
> (it survived 15 minutes of testing in both directions at above speeds)
>
> What do you think,
>
> Best regards,
> Maxim Levitsky

Are you aware of that bug?

2009-05-01 12:07:06

by Bob Copeland

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Maxim Levitsky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The issue is that if I load its TX unit up to it's maximum throughput,
>> it stalls each and every few seconds, and only way to
>
> Are you aware of that bug?

Yeah, thanks, haven't lost the report but haven't
had a chance to investigate so far.

By load TX up, do you mean you are sending large
files, using ping, iperf, or.. ?

--
Bob Copeland %% http://www.bobcopeland.com

2009-05-01 14:10:50

by Maxim Levitsky

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 08:07 -0400, Bob Copeland wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Maxim Levitsky <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> The issue is that if I load its TX unit up to it's maximum throughput,
> >> it stalls each and every few seconds, and only way to
> >
> > Are you aware of that bug?
>
> Yeah, thanks, haven't lost the report but haven't
> had a chance to investigate so far.
No problem

> By load TX up, do you mean you are sending large
> files, using ping, iperf, or.. ?

Yes, I use netcat to send zeros via tcp.

Actually sometimes, it seems that doing a download, could also trigger
same behavier, but this is much rareler.

When I bombard the aspire one with udp packets (= TX unit doesn't work
at all - maybe it sends ACKS, but I haven't tested this, then I get
lower speed, don't remember what exactly, but around 1.5 MB/s, and no
hangs at all).

I also did another test, I manually lowered TX rate on both ends (and
this does work now), and yet, I got same behavior. (ends were iwl3945
and ath5k)

On the other hand, if I transfer data via router again iwl3945-ath5k) (=
half of the time card doesn't work) I never see any hangs.

Same hangs happen if I transfer data to wired host, my third computer.

If there is anything I can test futher please ask,

Also (small plug) still card hangs sometimes after resume from ram with
message : 'failed to wakeup MAC' S2RAM/S2DISK doesn't help, module
reload doesn't help, it will fail to load at all, since first thing it
does it 'wakes up the MAC'

Other that the above two bugs, everything works fine (ah forgot that I
need to rewrite led code in mac80211, to make it usable, some day I do
so).

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky