2023-10-17 14:42:33

by James Prestwood

Subject: RX multicast action frames (ath10k)

Hi,

Currently it is not possible to receive multicast action frames (AFAIK)
unless EXT_FEATURE_MULTICAST_REGISTRATIONS is supported, which is
currently only ath9k (and hwsim). This was added to support DPP which
I'm also trying to do on a system using ath10k (potentially ath11k in
the future). The original change [1] to ath9k was quite simple and just
set FIF_MCAST_ACTION to the list of filters.

I tried doing this for ath10k with no luck, and looking deeper it
appears the firmware API (ATH10K_FW_WMI_OP_VERSION_TLV) doesn't have the
"rx_filter" command. I'm using a QCA6174.

I also noticed the "configure_filter" op for ath10k seems to be monitor
specific.

So I'm wondering if this is something the firmware needs to support (if
so I guess I'm SOL unless someone wants to add that). If not I could use
some guidance on how I could support it if its possible to modify the
ath10k driver.

Thanks,
James

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/[email protected]/

2023-10-17 16:56:46

by James Prestwood

Subject: Re: RX multicast action frames (ath10k)

On 10/17/23 7:42 AM, James Prestwood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently it is not possible to receive multicast action frames (AFAIK)
> unless EXT_FEATURE_MULTICAST_REGISTRATIONS is supported, which is
> currently only ath9k (and hwsim). This was added to support DPP which
> I'm also trying to do on a system using ath10k (potentially ath11k in
> the future). The original change [1] to ath9k was quite simple and just
> set FIF_MCAST_ACTION to the list of filters.
>
> I tried doing this for ath10k with no luck, and looking deeper it
> appears the firmware API (ATH10K_FW_WMI_OP_VERSION_TLV) doesn't have the
> "rx_filter" command. I'm using a QCA6174.
>
> I also noticed the "configure_filter" op for ath10k seems to be monitor
> specific.
>
> So I'm wondering if this is something the firmware needs to support (if
> so I guess I'm SOL unless someone wants to add that). If not I could use
> some guidance on how I could support it if its possible to modify the
> ath10k driver.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> [1]
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/[email protected]/

Figured it out, I had misunderstood what "monitor" meant in the context
of changing an RX filter. Patch sent.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/[email protected]/T/#u