2024-01-21 22:51:11

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2024 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

Hi,

the Linux Foundation will apply again as mentoring organization in this
year's Google Summer of Code.

Note that GSoC 2024 allows now 3 project sizes, large (350h) and medium
(175h) as before, but now also small (90h) in addition.

All the rest is as last year, especially allowance of open source
newcomers and not only students and flexibility with the end of the
coding period.

On January 22, 2024 (tomorrow) the application period for mentoring
organizations for the Google Summer of Code 2024 will start.

To be successful, we need a rich project idea list so that we will get
selected by Google.

I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
participation in the Google Summer of Code 2024:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2024

Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. Also remove
project ideas which are already done in one of the previous years or not
needed any more and make sure that all contact info is up-to-date and
all links are working.

Make sure to not talk about "students", but about "contributors"
instead. I have, at least partially, taken care of this when I have
copied your sub-group pages from last year.

Also make sure to remove the "**To be updated**" phrase after having
updated your project ideas.

If you have problems mail me with your project ideas and other editing
wishes.

The ideas list is in the Linux Foundation Wiki. If you want to edit and
did not have the edit rights already from previous years, please tell me
and I give you edit rights. I need your name and e-mail address for
that. If you have an account at the Linux Foundation, use preferably
that e-mail address, but having an account at the Linux Foundation is
not required.

Please also take into account that the deadline for our application as
mentoring organization is Feb 6 and after that Google will evaluate the
applications. So have your ideas (at least most of them, ideas can be
posted up to the contributor application deadline) in by then to raise
our chances to get accepted.

Please also tell us if you do not want to participate any more with your
workgroup, so that we can remove your sub-page.

Till

2024-01-21 23:34:46

by Till Kamppeter

Two additional remarks:

- This year Google wants to preferably have AI/ML-related projects, so
to raise our chances, add such projects to your project ideas lists if
you have and mark them prominently.

- If you are using Mastodon (Fediverse), please post with hashtags
#LinuxFoundation and #GSoC. Also if you are using a hashtag for your
workgroup, add this information to the contacts part of your group's
project idea page.

Till

On 21/01/2024 19:50, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Linux Foundation will apply again as mentoring organization in this
> year's Google Summer of Code.
>
> Note that GSoC 2024 allows now 3 project sizes, large (350h) and medium
> (175h) as before, but now also small (90h) in addition.
>
> All the rest is as last year, especially allowance of open source
> newcomers and not only students and flexibility with the end of the
> coding period.
>
> On January 22, 2024 (tomorrow) the application period for mentoring
> organizations for the Google Summer of Code 2024 will start.
>
> To be successful, we need a rich project idea list so that we will get
> selected by Google.
>
> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
> participation in the Google Summer of Code 2024:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2024
>
> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. Also remove
> project ideas which are already done in one of the previous years or not
> needed any more and make sure that all contact info is up-to-date and
> all links are working.
>
> Make sure to not talk about "students", but about "contributors"
> instead. I have, at least partially, taken care of this when I have
> copied your sub-group pages from last year.
>
> Also make sure to remove the "**To be updated**" phrase after having
> updated your project ideas.
>
> If you have problems mail me with your project ideas and other editing
> wishes.
>
> The ideas list is in the Linux Foundation Wiki. If you want to edit and
> did not have the edit rights already from previous years, please tell me
> and I give you edit rights. I need your name and e-mail address for
> that. If you have an account at the Linux Foundation, use preferably
> that e-mail address, but having an account at the Linux Foundation is
> not required.
>
> Please also take into account that the deadline for our application as
> mentoring organization is Feb 6 and after that Google will evaluate the
> applications. So have your ideas (at least most of them, ideas can be
> posted up to the contributor application deadline) in by then to raise
> our chances to get accepted.
>
> Please also tell us if you do not want to participate any more with your
> workgroup, so that we can remove your sub-page.
>
>    Till

2024-02-07 18:53:25

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2024 - URGENT: Please add project sizes and level of difficulty

Hi,

we have applied and Google's organization team is looking through the
organization applications. There they have seen that we are missing
important information:

1. Project size
---------------

There are 3 project sizes available:

- Large: 350 hours
- Medium: 175 hours
- Small: 90 hours

Large was the original project size of GSoC, 3 months full-time. During
the time Medium as half-size projects got added, and this year we have
also Small as quarter-size projects.

There is no requirement to offer all sizes and you can change the sizes
depending on student proposals.

Please add the aimed-for size to EACH of your listed project proposals ASAP.

2. Level of difficulty
----------------------

This is an important orientation mark for contributor candidates with
different experience to find the most suitable projects.

Please mark EACH of your project proposals with a level of "easy",
"intermediate", or "difficult" ASAP.

3. Requirements
---------------

Another important orientation mark: Tell here in which programming
languages your project is written, which libraries are used, is it
Desktop, AI, server, cloud, ... So you will get contributors who already
have experience in fields important for your project.

Please tell for EACH of your project proposals which
knowledge/experiemce is required or helpful ASAP.

As an example see the project idea list of OpenPrinting:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2024-openprinting-projects

Also do the following ASAP:

- Remove project propoals which are already done or which you do not
want to do any more this year

- Remove your workgroup's page and the link to it on the main page if
you do not want to mentor GSoC projects under the Linux Foundation
umbrella this year.

- Remove the "To be updated" on your group page when you are done with
your project idea list.

If you are not able to edit, tell me ASAP so that I can give you edit
rights. Tell me the e-mail address to use for the account. You will then
get an invitation e-mail from the Linux Foundation. Please follow the
instructions in the e-mail and you will be able to edit.

Please fix your project idea listings ASAP, and please remove your group
ASAP if you do not want to mentor this year. Also do not forget to
remove the "To be updated".

If you do not answer and your group page shows evidence of not being
edited for this year, we will remove it.

Till

On 21/01/2024 23:50, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Linux Foundation will apply again as mentoring organization in this
> year's Google Summer of Code.
>
> Note that GSoC 2024 allows now 3 project sizes, large (350h) and medium
> (175h) as before, but now also small (90h) in addition.
>
> All the rest is as last year, especially allowance of open source
> newcomers and not only students and flexibility with the end of the
> coding period.
>
> On January 22, 2024 (tomorrow) the application period for mentoring
> organizations for the Google Summer of Code 2024 will start.
>
> To be successful, we need a rich project idea list so that we will get
> selected by Google.
>
> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
> participation in the Google Summer of Code 2024:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2024
>
> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. Also remove
> project ideas which are already done in one of the previous years or not
> needed any more and make sure that all contact info is up-to-date and
> all links are working.
>
> Make sure to not talk about "students", but about "contributors"
> instead. I have, at least partially, taken care of this when I have
> copied your sub-group pages from last year.
>
> Also make sure to remove the "**To be updated**" phrase after having
> updated your project ideas.
>
> If you have problems mail me with your project ideas and other editing
> wishes.
>
> The ideas list is in the Linux Foundation Wiki. If you want to edit and
> did not have the edit rights already from previous years, please tell me
> and I give you edit rights. I need your name and e-mail address for
> that. If you have an account at the Linux Foundation, use preferably
> that e-mail address, but having an account at the Linux Foundation is
> not required.
>
> Please also take into account that the deadline for our application as
> mentoring organization is Feb 6 and after that Google will evaluate the
> applications. So have your ideas (at least most of them, ideas can be
> posted up to the contributor application deadline) in by then to raise
> our chances to get accepted.
>
> Please also tell us if you do not want to participate any more with your
> workgroup, so that we can remove your sub-page.
>
>    Till

2024-02-20 18:26:29

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2024 - The Linux Foundation got ACCEPTED!!

Hi,

some minutes ago, I received the message that the Linux Foundation got
ACCEPTED as mentoring organization in the 20th Google Summer of Code.

Now everyone of us should

- Get in contact with their communities to spread the news so that
potential candidates start joining us quickly.

- Speak up for mentoring contributors so that we can register you as
mentor and you get access to the web app

- Add more project ideas as they come

Please do not yet post in the social media or on your project's site.
Official announcement of accepted orgs is tomorrow, Feb 21, 18:00 UTC.

Till

2024-02-20 18:47:04

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2024 - Get a Mentor!

Hi,

anyone of you, who wants to be a mentor needs to accept the GSoC terms
for 2024 before being able to get invited.

To do so, got to the dashboard

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/

and expand "2024" to see the terms. Agree to them and tell me when you
are done with that. I will invite you as mentor then.

If you did not participate in 2022 or 2023 you will have to create a new
account.

Till

2024-02-21 22:07:35

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2024 - Mentors, ask the experienced mentors!

Hi,

the GSoC organization team is running 4 panel sessions where mentors can
ask the panel of 4 experienced mentors. Each of the 4 sessions is about
a different subject matter and with a different group of panelists. The
panelists are long-term mentors which have stepped up voluntarily to
help the new or less experienced mentors (but experienced ones can also
learn).

The first episode takes place tomorrow, Thursday, Feb 22:

Managing inquiries of potential GSoC contributors
Mentor discussion panel:
Time: Thursday, Feb 22 1600 UTC
Join: https://meet.google.com/gxe-jiqf-pwc

Please prepare your questions, this is interactive, not just to watch.

All registered mentors who did not opt out of the mentors mailing list
get the announcements for the 4 sessions via the list, but as many of
you did not register as mentor yet, I am informing you separately right now.

I hope this will help you through your GSoC mentoring task.

Till

2024-02-22 11:04:28

by Till Kamppeter

And here are all the sessions so far:

Managing inquiries of potential GSoC contributors Mentor discussion panel

Time: Thursday, Feb 22 1600-1700 UTC

Meet link: meet.google.com/gxe-jiqf-pwc

Lessons learned from years of being an Org Admin

Time: Wednesday, Feb 28 1600-1700 UTC

Meet link: meet.google.com/imy-dtbp-had

Tips and tricks to be a great mentor

Time: Tuesday, March 5 1600-1700 UTC

Meet link: meet.google.com/wfy-rdgy-kwd

Making the most of the Community Bonding period

Time: Thursday, April 25 1500-1600 UTC

Meet link: meet.google.com/huz-enjt-ati

Till