2009-02-04 18:10:37

by Shivdas Gujare

Subject: Regarding Belkin wireless USB adapter

Hi,
I am trying to use Belkin Wireless G USB adapter(uses trl8187 driver)
on ARM board. I am tesing this with x86 and ARM board (BeagleBoard).

My problem is, this adapter works fine with my Ubuntu
laptop(v2.6.29-rc2) using NetworkManager because of udev.

I tried to run wpa_supplicant from command line as,
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
It gives error "Failed to read or parse configuration
'/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'"
Because, my laptop doesn't have /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file, But
still wireless network works fine.

I don't have wpa_supplicant in ARM rootfs, hence want to know
Does wpa_supplicant is necessary to make this USB wireless adapter work?

Also, is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf necessary in rootfs, since device
works fine without this file on my laptop.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Shivdas

2009-02-04 19:19:28

by Shivdas Gujare

Subject: Re: Regarding Belkin wireless USB adapter

Hi Hin-Tak,
Thanks for your quick reply.

I needs to recheck about "open or WEP network", but from properties it says
"Security->WPA personal".
One thing I observed while trying to configure from command line.
if I do "ifconfig wlan0 up", it doesn't show "RUNNING".
I can scan the channels using iwlist properly but, assigning access point using
"iwconfig wlan0 ap access_pt", doesn't work for me and shows "ap not assigned"

Thanks and Regards,
Shivdas

On 2/4/09, Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Shivdas Gujare <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to use Belkin Wireless G USB adapter(uses trl8187 driver)
>> on ARM board. I am tesing this with x86 and ARM board (BeagleBoard).
>>
>> My problem is, this adapter works fine with my Ubuntu
>> laptop(v2.6.29-rc2) using NetworkManager because of udev.
>>
>> I tried to run wpa_supplicant from command line as,
>> wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>> It gives error "Failed to read or parse configuration
>> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'"
>> Because, my laptop doesn't have /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file, But
>> still wireless network works fine.
>>
>> I don't have wpa_supplicant in ARM rootfs, hence want to know
>> Does wpa_supplicant is necessary to make this USB wireless adapter work?
>>
>> Also, is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf necessary in rootfs, since device
>> works fine without this file on my laptop.
>
> Hmm, wpa_supplicant.conf contains security info, and wpa keys, etc and
> such. Are you on an open or WEP network?
> If so, you don't even need wpa_supplicant - just do iwconfig, etc.
>

>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Shivdas

2009-02-04 18:18:50

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Shivdas Gujare <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to use Belkin Wireless G USB adapter(uses trl8187 driver)
> on ARM board. I am tesing this with x86 and ARM board (BeagleBoard).
>
> My problem is, this adapter works fine with my Ubuntu
> laptop(v2.6.29-rc2) using NetworkManager because of udev.
>
> I tried to run wpa_supplicant from command line as,
> wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> It gives error "Failed to read or parse configuration
> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'"
> Because, my laptop doesn't have /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file, But
> still wireless network works fine.
>
> I don't have wpa_supplicant in ARM rootfs, hence want to know
> Does wpa_supplicant is necessary to make this USB wireless adapter work?
>
> Also, is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf necessary in rootfs, since device
> works fine without this file on my laptop.

Hmm, wpa_supplicant.conf contains security info, and wpa keys, etc and
such. Are you on an open or WEP network?
If so, you don't even need wpa_supplicant - just do iwconfig, etc.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Shivdas

2009-02-04 19:40:33

by Hin-Tak Leung

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Shivdas Gujare <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Hin-Tak,
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> I needs to recheck about "open or WEP network", but from properties it says
> "Security->WPA personal".
> One thing I observed while trying to configure from command line.
> if I do "ifconfig wlan0 up", it doesn't show "RUNNING".
> I can scan the channels using iwlist properly but, assigning access point using
> "iwconfig wlan0 ap access_pt", doesn't work for me and shows "ap not assigned"
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Shivdas

So is it working - as in, establishing IP connectivity to outside
*through* an access point?
iwlist works regardless of authentication. Also, are you using
NetworkManager or any way using the dbus interface? I think some WPA
authentication info can be stored in gnome session config and passed
via D-bus.