2017-03-29 11:54:05

by Benjamin Beichler

Subject: Get Number of Pending Wifi Frames in Mesh ALM calc

Hi,

we investigate a possibility to enrich the ALM with information about a
possible delay caused by buffering in all nodes along a mesh path. This
could better reflect the idea of an real "airtime" of a new send frame.
Therefore I'm searching for a general way to get the number of
outstanding frames of an mac80211 based wifi-driver.

I think it could be possible to count the number of one of the
skb_queues in struct ieee80211_local. Maybe there is also a possibility
to use the new codel infrastructure in mac80211 to get a impression
about buffered frames of a wiphy, but I think this would only work on
flow end-points, but we need a metric estimation on every node. Do
anybody know whether I'm right at this point ?

We will test our implementation on ath9k cards as well as on
mac80211_hwsim simulation, therefore it should work at least on this
both :-)

The nice thing could be, to combine end point regulation methods with
regulating parameters on nodes on the forwarding path to get better
throughput in mesh networks.

kind regards

--
M.Sc. Benjamin Beichler

Universität Rostock, Fakultät für Informatik und Elektrotechnik
Institut für Angewandte Mikroelektronik und Datentechnik

University of Rostock, Department of CS and EE
Institute of Applied Microelectronics and CE

Richard-Wagner-Straße 31
18119 Rostock
Deutschland/Germany

phone: +49 (0) 381 498 - 7278