2020-01-13 23:07:40

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2020 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

Hi,

Tomorrow the application period for mentoring organizations for the Google
Summer of Code 2020 will start.

To be successful, we need a rich project idea list so that we will get selected
by Google.

I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's participation
in the Google Summer of Code 2020:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2020

Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. Also remove project
ideas which are already done in one of the previous years or not needed any more
and make sure that all contact info is up-to-date and all links are working.

If you have problems mail me with your project ideas and other editing wishes.

The ideas list is in the Linux Foundation Wiki. If you want to edit and did not
have the edit rights already from previous years, please tell me and I give you
edit rights. I need your Linux Foundation user name for that and the e-mail
address associated with this account for this.

Please also take into account that the deadline for our application as mentoring
organization is Feb 5 and after that Google will evaluate the applications. So
have your ideas (at least most of them, ideas can be posted up to the student
application deadline) in by then to raise our chances to get accepted.

Till

2020-01-14 14:50:20

by Daniel Baluta

Hi Aveek,

I think Lucas was referring to Linux kernel community. There are
plenty of developers from all companies
around the world who might have some ideas.

For example we could send an emal to lkml or kernelnewbies mailinglists.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:29 PM Aveek Basu <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Lukas,
>
> Folks from the kernel groups are already copied in this email.
>
> Regards,
> Aveek
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:57 AM Lukas Bulwahn <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Till,
>>
>> I would suggest to also reach out to the kernel workflows group. I have seen various good ideas for student projects, which are more suitable for students and have larger impact on kernel development than many topics that I would provide.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> Till Kamppeter <[email protected]> schrieb am Mo., 13. Jan. 2020 um 23:04:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Tomorrow the application period for mentoring organizations for the Google
>>> Summer of Code 2020 will start.
>>>
>>> To be successful, we need a rich project idea list so that we will get selected
>>> by Google.
>>>
>>> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's participation
>>> in the Google Summer of Code 2020:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2020
>>>
>>> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. Also remove project
>>> ideas which are already done in one of the previous years or not needed any more
>>> and make sure that all contact info is up-to-date and all links are working.
>>>
>>> If you have problems mail me with your project ideas and other editing wishes.
>>>
>>> The ideas list is in the Linux Foundation Wiki. If you want to edit and did not
>>> have the edit rights already from previous years, please tell me and I give you
>>> edit rights. I need your Linux Foundation user name for that and the e-mail
>>> address associated with this account for this.
>>>
>>> Please also take into account that the deadline for our application as mentoring
>>> organization is Feb 5 and after that Google will evaluate the applications. So
>>> have your ideas (at least most of them, ideas can be posted up to the student
>>> application deadline) in by then to raise our chances to get accepted.
>>>
>>> Till
>

> --
>
> Regards,
> Aveek

2020-01-14 14:56:06

by Till Kamppeter

On 14/01/2020 15:49, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hi Aveek,
>
> I think Lucas was referring to Linux kernel community. There are
> plenty of developers from all companies
> around the world who might have some ideas.
>
> For example we could send an emal to lkml or kernelnewbies mailinglists.

Perhaps you could contact possible mentors and post on appropriate mailing
lists. The mentors should contact us then with workgroup (from the already
listed ones or a new one), project idea descriptions, mentor's name, e-mail
address, and if they have, Linux Foundation user name. Then we will add them
with their project or grant them write access to the project idea wiki pages.

Till

2020-01-14 15:02:52

by Julia Lawall

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Daniel Baluta wrote:

> Hi Aveek,
>
> I think Lucas was referring to Linux kernel community. There are
> plenty of developers from all companies
> around the world who might have some ideas.
>
> For example we could send an emal to lkml or kernelnewbies mailinglists.

Actually, I think he was referring to this:

https://lore.kernel.org/workflows/

I'm not sure if there is any intersection between the people CCd on this
message and that list, but I don't know the names of all of the people on
that list.

julia

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:29 PM Aveek Basu <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Lukas,
> >
> > Folks from the kernel groups are already copied in this email.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Aveek
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:57 AM Lukas Bulwahn <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Till,
> >>
> >> I would suggest to also reach out to the kernel workflows group. I have seen various good ideas for student projects, which are more suitable for students and have larger impact on kernel development than many topics that I would provide.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> Lukas

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> > Aveek

2020-01-14 16:45:54

by Lukas Bulwahn

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:00 PM Julia Lawall <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Daniel Baluta wrote:
>
> > Hi Aveek,
> >
> > I think Lucas was referring to Linux kernel community. There are
> > plenty of developers from all companies
> > around the world who might have some ideas.
> >
> > For example we could send an emal to lkml or kernelnewbies mailinglists.
>
> Actually, I think he was referring to this:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/workflows/
>
> I'm not sure if there is any intersection between the people CCd on this
> message and that list, but I don't know the names of all of the people on
> that list.

Yes, that is the mailing list I was referring to. I was asking if we
should explicitly reach out on that mailing list for ideas on GSoC
student projects. They are discussing topics there that can be nicely
worked on by students without to much need of deep kernel expertise.

I am listening on that mailing list, but I have not seen anyone CC
here being active on the workflows mailing list.

So, what are the thoughts in actively reaching out to that mailing list?

Lukas

2020-01-14 17:11:00

by Till Kamppeter

On 14/01/2020 16:46, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> Yes, that is the mailing list I was referring to. I was asking if we
> should explicitly reach out on that mailing list for ideas on GSoC
> student projects. They are discussing topics there that can be nicely
> worked on by students without to much need of deep kernel expertise.
>
> I am listening on that mailing list, but I have not seen anyone CC
> here being active on the workflows mailing list.
>
> So, what are the thoughts in actively reaching out to that mailing list?
>
> Lukas

Please do so. If they like to participate, we can add a Kernel Workflows group
on the ideas page.

Till