2016-05-10 12:58:31

by Xose Vazquez Perez

Subject: Re: Realtek USB WiFi rtl8192eu

Fisher Grubb wrote:

> I don't know if this stick's driver is in the process of being
> incorporated into the Kernel drivers, I havn't seen so yet.
> [...]
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

That device is supported by rtl8xxxu.

2016-05-11 01:32:13

by Fisher Grubb

Hi Jes,

Thanks for the info.

Ok, so I assume I just Google how to bring/compile a newer
"unreleased" driver into a previous kernel version.

Do I just need my current kernel's headers and typical GCC build toolchain?

This is for Debian 7.9 on the ARM based BeagleBone Black board (Texas
Instruments Sitara AM3358 CPU), which I uses kernel v3.8.13-bone79.

I'm asking in case there's a big difference between kernel 3 to 4 for
this type of driver to be compiled.

I'm pretty sure certain kernel customisations were added by Robert
Nelson for this board (I think he is quite involved with
porting/fixing stuff for this board and the raspberry pi) , so I don't
know how easy it would be for me to use a version 4 kernel.

Thanks,

Fisher

On 11 May 2016 06:51, "Jes Sorensen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Fisher Grubb <[email protected]> writes:
> > Hi Xose,
> >
> > I'm not sure, I have the latest version of Ubuntu on my laptop and I
> > had to use the DKMS -2 deb file to get it working as no driver claimed
> > it.
> >
> > After Googeling (especially for the 0bda:818b USB device and vendor
> > ID), it seemed the driver supported most of Realtek's WiFi devices but
> > mine wasn't listed.
> >
> > From memory, I used this page mainly when I was first checking:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
> >
> > I didn't see any people in forums mentioning how they managed to get
> > this standard driver working, they all seemed to either have no luck
> > because code didn't compile, or link to source code that did compile.
> >
> > If that mainline driver does work, then I assume there could be some
> > USB vendor and device IDs that it doesn't cover.
> >
> > Here's the link for where I bought it:
> > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181860888357
>
> Patches to add rtl8192eu support was pulled into wireless-drivers-next
> recently and scheduled for the 4.7 kernel. It is not in Linus' tree
> yet. You should be able to try it out by either building Kalle's
> wireless-drivers-next or my rtl8xxxu-devel branch.
>
> The Realtek 8192EU driver you referenced is not scheduled to get pulled
> into the upstream Linux kernel.
>
> Cheers,
> Jes

2016-05-11 02:40:23

by Jes Sorensen

Fisher Grubb <[email protected]> writes:
> Hi Jes,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Ok, so I assume I just Google how to bring/compile a newer
> "unreleased" driver into a previous kernel version.
>
> Do I just need my current kernel's headers and typical GCC build toolchain?
>
> This is for Debian 7.9 on the ARM based BeagleBone Black board (Texas
> Instruments Sitara AM3358 CPU), which I uses kernel v3.8.13-bone79.
>
> I'm asking in case there's a big difference between kernel 3 to 4 for
> this type of driver to be compiled.
>
> I'm pretty sure certain kernel customisations were added by Robert
> Nelson for this board (I think he is quite involved with
> porting/fixing stuff for this board and the raspberry pi) , so I don't
> know how easy it would be for me to use a version 4 kernel.

Bringing back the driver into an older kernel is an open question. No
idea if that will work or not. Also note that ARM support is very
lightly tested and I do not believe anyone tested rtl8192eu support with
ARM.

Note that the driver currently does not support MESH and AP mode.

Jes

2016-05-10 20:51:22

by Jes Sorensen

Fisher Grubb <[email protected]> writes:
> Hi Xose,
>
> I'm not sure, I have the latest version of Ubuntu on my laptop and I
> had to use the DKMS -2 deb file to get it working as no driver claimed
> it.
>
> After Googeling (especially for the 0bda:818b USB device and vendor
> ID), it seemed the driver supported most of Realtek's WiFi devices but
> mine wasn't listed.
>
> From memory, I used this page mainly when I was first checking:
> https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
>
> I didn't see any people in forums mentioning how they managed to get
> this standard driver working, they all seemed to either have no luck
> because code didn't compile, or link to source code that did compile.
>
> If that mainline driver does work, then I assume there could be some
> USB vendor and device IDs that it doesn't cover.
>
> Here's the link for where I bought it:
> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181860888357

Patches to add rtl8192eu support was pulled into wireless-drivers-next
recently and scheduled for the 4.7 kernel. It is not in Linus' tree
yet. You should be able to try it out by either building Kalle's
wireless-drivers-next or my rtl8xxxu-devel branch.

The Realtek 8192EU driver you referenced is not scheduled to get pulled
into the upstream Linux kernel.

Cheers,
Jes

2016-05-10 13:01:09

by Xose Vazquez Perez

On 05/10/2016 02:58 PM, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

> That device is supported by rtl8xxxu.

BTW, Realtek devices are documented at:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl819x

2016-05-10 13:16:37

by Fisher Grubb

Hi Xose,

I'm not sure, I have the latest version of Ubuntu on my laptop and I
had to use the DKMS -2 deb file to get it working as no driver claimed
it.

After Googeling (especially for the 0bda:818b USB device and vendor
ID), it seemed the driver supported most of Realtek's WiFi devices but
mine wasn't listed.

>From memory, I used this page mainly when I was first checking:
https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

I didn't see any people in forums mentioning how they managed to get
this standard driver working, they all seemed to either have no luck
because code didn't compile, or link to source code that did compile.

If that mainline driver does work, then I assume there could be some
USB vendor and device IDs that it doesn't cover.

Here's the link for where I bought it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181860888357

Fisher